does windows stores a backup of harddisk headers? drive turned RAW

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sauronxxx, Mar 9, 2016.

1. sauronxxx

sauronxxx MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    a friend has a 4TB harddisk that turned into RAW after upgrading to win10.
    the drive is a data drive and not an OS drive.

i guess, for some reason the drive header got corrupted and that is why win10 shows it as a RAW drive.

but when he connects the drive to win7 (the system the drives was conneted to earlier) the drive shows correctly.

i wonder, when the drive header is corrupted then win7 should not be able to show its content either .. except when it stores a backup of the header. right?

or what could be a reason that the drives shows as RAW in win10 and correctly under win7?

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Some manufacturers used to provide a utility/driver to setup the drive to full capacity for older systems.
    Perhaps this is how the drive has been setup on your m8's win 7 system? Is is a WD drive?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Try to use acronis or paragon, and their undelete partition function. If the disk isn't messed you have great chances to recover everything, quickly.

4. sauronxxx

sauronxxx MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #4 sauronxxx, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    (OP)
    yes i know, but i am more interested in knowing why it shows under win7 and not win10.
    my friend has copied the files already.

that was my first idea.
    but it´s using GPT and win7 does not need extra drivers for it.

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

probably a not so compliant bios and a the two OSes using different routines to behave with such kind of not clear configurations.

Think to a zip file renamed as .doc Some programs relies just on the three letter extensions and fails to open it, some others goes a bit deeper and manages it correctly.

6. cruxq

cruxq MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    There is a good chance that Testdisk will fix the problem.