Don't think I'll install 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rickkins, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Rickkins

Rickkins MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I've pretty much installed every release as it came out.. except vista... but I do not see any point whatsoever installing 8.1

I'm currently using 8, with classic shell installed, giving me a normal desktop experience. Can't see that 8.1 would give me anything new at all. I won't use tifkam, ever, or any of it's turdy apps...

So, what would be the point..??
    Guess I'll hope for something better from 9.....

2. segobi

segobi MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    Don't think I'll leave the house today - it might rain.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Oh I never leave the house... oh no, not me...:p

4. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    It's a free update, consider it moving from Intel Ivy Bridge to Haswell. :p I don't understand why wouldn't you install an "improved" version of Windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    OK, you won't install it. Who cares? :p

6. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Improved...?? Don't think that there are any "desktop" improvements ....??
    As I mentioned, I already use classic shell to give me strictly a desktop environment. Exactly what desktop improvements does 8.1 provide...??

I'm serious... I may well have missed something...

7. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Well, aren't we profound. I'm pretty sure board rules prohibit me from responding the way you so richly deserve....

8. pra_viilon

pra_viilon MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    Skydrive integration is great, modern UI is much improved, I actually feel like using it now, even on a non-touch machine. Search charm works very well now, even in desktop mode, without taking over the whole screen.

And since you are a desktop lover: You can also boot to desktop, and set Start screen's background to that of desktop's. Need any more reasons?

9. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    ...you have deserved such reply, because your post has no information value at all...

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's entirely up to you what you'll doing, upgrade or not! If it's doesn't matter for you, fine, leave all workings as it did for you.

Only question would be: Is that really a point for to start a new thread?:rolleyes:

11. LQQL

LQQL MDL Addicted

Apr 21, 2009
    #11 LQQL, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    Just be open to new things.

You dont want it? Fine, just stick to XP or whatever. Why bother?!

Useless thread in MY eyes.

Did you even test it?

12. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009
    Silly me, I thought this was an open forum, where folks were free to express their thoughts and opinions.

Seriously wtf is wrong with you pinheads...??? Are you so full of yourselves that you think all posts must be approved by the lowest common denominator...???:angry2:

13. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Deja vu ... :whistle3:

14. Rickkins

Jul 29, 2009

I would never use a cloud storage... especially one from microsoft.
    I CLEARLY stated that I would not use tifkam.
    Ok, perhaps I should have specified that I do not use "charms" (I'm over 12yrs old)
    Again, I CLEARLY stated that I use classic shell, which means that I already have boot to desktop.

Yanno, ya might have at least glanced at what I wrote, BEFORE you responded to it...

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Why such nasty answer for a serious question? For threads like yours, there is an Sub-Forum called Chit-Chat!

16. aristofeles

aristofeles MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    I dont this this tread is useless. He do have a point: what is new on the desktop? Skydrive? Great! But what more???

Personally I used Start is Back. Removed and, now on 8.1, I'm giving metro another chance. But give it one week... I think I'll go back to my Start Menu replacement.
    Think this another way: Windows 8 is a failure in the market (look at the numbers, and the reception). Can 8.1 change that? If so, how?? What is in here that really changed for a normal user, or for those who complain?

17. M0rriss0n

M0rriss0n MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2011
    If everyone read the first post, this is about using an O.S on a DESKTOP
    Windows 8 and certainly not 8.1 are made for desktop
    I have to agree with Rickkins, but you all know my perception about Windows 8
    At home I have Windows 8 Pro, customized for my needs, took me a long time
    At work I use 8.1 for testing
    Yes, you can start a new thread about not liking 8.1, the more the better
    Microsoft has to make a decision for the feature, desktops will be around for a while and need a desktop O.S!

18. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #18 Nucleus, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    So glad you opened a new thread to tell us all that. :eek:

Last few days it seems more than a few are using the forum this way, don't bother reading anything and just start a new thread for what are often trivial points/issues, when these things could easily be posted in existing threads.

19. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    You see, Windows 8.1 isn't a simple collection of aesthetic changes, It's a better OS... end of story. It's faster, more stable and the reworked metro interface may as well replace your start menu, and if it doesn't you can boot to desktop without additional software. If all you need is desktop and start menu, you should stick to Win7...

20. wildbilll

wildbilll MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Why upgrade? It's free?