Dont understand SSD Raid set-up.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by loggerman, Nov 22, 2010.

1. loggerman

loggerman MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2010
    Bonjour all,
    I have a Kingston ssdnow V+ 64Gb ssd and a Vertex 2 60Gb ssd, can I connect the two in a raid configuration ( and how) and are there any problems I might face ?
    Will I notice any difference ?
    P6T-SE
    i7 920
    4GB Corsair DDR3
    8800 GT 512MB

2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    You can try it, I don't know if the 2 will conflict. But remember both will be seen as 60GB then, so you loose 4GB of the kingston. And yes, RAID 0 will be faster, but I don't know how fast (how fast can the mobo itself go?)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    They should really be the same model if your raiding. It may be possible to stripe or mirror but it'll have to set the raid up as 2x60gb so you'll loose 4gb.
    I wouldn't bother. You'll find that having a stripe will be faster in the OS but you'll add some time to your bootup to desktop....
    The Vertex 2 is way faster than the Kingston so I'd have that as my OS drive. Set your bios for AHCI as well...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. loggerman

loggerman MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2010
    Took your advice Flipp3r, just using Vertex as boot drive, can confirm that the Vertex 2 really is noticably quicker than the Kingston. Thanks.