Don't want to worry about WAT anymore.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GRDaddy, Apr 26, 2010.

1. GRDaddy

GRDaddy MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    I don't know what's going on. I have Windows 7, Office 03, and Microsoft Security Essentials installed on three computers. No KB971033 on any of the computers. One computer keeps popping up with a message stating "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting."

And another computer, I end up with the black screen stating that my computer is deemed not genuine. I usually just change the key and restart and it's back to normal for a month or so before it pops up again.

I'm not interested in any Windows Updates. The other computers are running stable with no pop ups. Is there a way to completely disconnect connection with Microsoft and all of their checks? I don't need updates, I just need the computer to stay genuine they way it is. All updates have been disabled and must be manually sent. I don't know if Office sends off any signals to call home or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Any clues?

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Dont want to worry bout WAT ? Then buy a genuine license instead of running a "piratewindows".

Otherwise, loaders and proper biosmods havent been found and flagged ungenuine yet i think.

3. YIN

YIN MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    i suggest for you to go with the hardmod way

4. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I have a bios mod and running Microsoft Security Essentials without any problem.

5. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Use Daz Loader and Microsoft Security Essentials with no problem.

6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  7. GRDaddy

GRDaddy MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    I used Daz Loader on all four systems. I have NOT installed KB971033 on three of the systems, accidentally installed it on one, but uninstalled it, and reapplied Daz Loader after an uninstall.

I'm not sure if my pre-activated Office 07 Enterprise Edition is causing the issue. Or if it's the MSE. But two of my computers have been hit with activation messages.

I was wondering if there was a way to just completely block Microsoft checks on my system. Maybe some sort of redirect that makes Microsoft think my computer is offline at all times so it does not attempt to run any checks or updates of even MSE. I'm not interested in updates. The computers are secure and generally used for basic searching.

Maybe it's a weird thing to ask.

8. GRDaddy

GRDaddy MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    MGADiag tool is giving me a "Failure to create output file" error when I try to copy. Is there a common fix to that?

You said

Is that true and necessary? That is the one step I don't believe I did on all the machines. If I validate after Daz then disable all auto-updates, is there any way WAT will get me after that?

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  10. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    BIOS mod for the win! nothing kills it!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. RedSpider

RedSpider MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    All computer systems DO NOT WORK THE SAME. Get rid of Microsoft Security Essentials, because that is your connection to Micro$oft.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I agree - MSE can flag genuine systems as illegitimate and has done so to some people I know who have legitimate software donated by M$ and M$ can't figure out why.

Get an altrenative - Comodo is free and receives good test results - some of the best results in leak tests.

13. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    You're wrong. I have installed MSE on all my pc's activated with Daz's Loader. I've also installed KB971033 and turned automatic updates on. There has never been any problem. MSE is the best free antivirus for Windows 7.

14. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Custom made Windows Activator for the win it only needs to run once and then its done...

15. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    What is this "Custom" made Windows Activator?

16. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #17 timesurfer, Apr 27, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    I think he's hinting to the fact that he might have a "home brew" deal going on

@pezzonovante

Whats your info regarding MSE being the best free AV. Any facts about that you might share!

17. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    haha, good point. I would say that personally avast or avg is actually better then MSE! I tested it and honestly I was not impressed.

18. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    av-comparatives.org has rated MSE as the best free antivirus. Plus I have been very impressed with MSE. I haven't had any problems with malware or system performance since I installed it last year.

19. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    It's cool that we all have these different experiences with these free AV's. About 4 years ago I choose Avira free and also worked good for me...lol

I have Avira Premium now. Seems to always find stuff...lol

I hear people complain about false-positives but a false-positive never hurts anyone just bothers us...lol

I think it's more important to have the best definition files as to catch all viruses