Double legitimate Windows 7 activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by minutemaid, Nov 25, 2009.

1. minutemaid

minutemaid MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
    Hi all!

I bought a laptop and it came with a free win7upgrade voucher, which i ordered.
    Today it arrived and the CD is labeled "Windows 7 upgrade media kit". I actually installed this on my Mac Mini in bootcamp without any problems just to test it.

But I accidentally activated it in bootcamp before I could upgrade my laptop.
    Now it says the key is already in use on my laptop. But i then tried to activate by phone and it actually worked...

And now both my machines are activated!, Will this cause any problems? Maybe i should uninstall my Windows 7 on my Mac Mini and use Daz's loader.

So anyone know how does this actually work? how does Microsoft check? maybe when i perform updates on both machines?

2. flasher33

flasher33 MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    from past experience its OK as long both systems are not logged in to the Internet at the same time (tried this with vista and is working on my laptop and desktop)
    at least thats what I think.

3. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    Why Dont U Post the OEM-SLP Key Here,We Can Add it To the Collection If It is a New One,...

4. minutemaid

minutemaid MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
    Can you explain what this means and why? Do you mean post the Product Key? And how would this help others?

Won't this cause the key to be blacklisted?

The sticker says: "Win Vista HmPrm - Win 7 HmPrm UPG Fulfill Acer Group".

The CD itself is labeled "Windows 7 Upgrade Media" and is also stamped with the "Packard Bell" logo.

5. Shorty003

Shorty003 MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    The key he got is no OEM-SLP key. Each upgrade package gets a unique key.

And officially according to the Microsoft rules what you just did is not allowed. You are allowed to install the upgrade package only on the laptop you bought it for. It will work fine tho :)

6. minutemaid

minutemaid MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2009
    Yes, I checked my key with PIDChecker, it says it's an OEM:NONSLP key.

I wonder how many machines you could actually activate then... :)
    I actually removed the Windows 7 install on my Mini and installed Ultimate with Daz's loader, works great!

7. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #7 HotCarl, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    You will be fine, dont worry about it.
    ..and dont share your key, it is a probably a OEM:COA key with a limited # of activations (similar to a retail key).

8. althetaff

althetaff MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2008
    Acer Win 7 Upgrade Disc

I'm interested in this thread and i would like to do something along the same lines.
    I have a new Acer Aspire which was eligable for a Windows 7 upgrade.
    I have installed the disk as a clean install dual boot on my Acer and used the unique key provied. The CA cert has the info as the previos poster "Win Vista HmPrm - Win 7 HmPrm UPG Fulfill Acer Group".

I've read these upgrade disks supplied by Mentor Media for Acer a more like retail versions.

Could I used this disk and install Windows 7 on another machine. If so how many installs would it do? I would like to just use it one more time as a dual boot on my Macbook.

cheers
    al

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    There is NO upgrade media. All Win7 is the same media. The upgrade part comes ONLY from the key used.

This key will only activate once online, but you might get a second activation by phone

But that is like running a completly illegal version anyway, do not kid yourself otherwise!

sebus

10. stemcell

stemcell MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    I just got the free Acer Windows 7 disc (well £12.95 for postage:rolleyes:) I just checked it using the key checkers on here and it comes back as OEM:NONSLP :D

Will/can they detect he has 2 machines with the same key?

11. althetaff

althetaff MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2008
    Yes this is the question I am asking.
    I not bothered whether it is allowed ;), just whether it will work :D

al

12. ggonxhi

ggonxhi MDL Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    i had the same thing bought a laptop with windows vista and than got a free upgrade.

check your laptop most likley it already has slic 2.1 table in bios.
    if it does you could just install windows with oem slp key and just use the update key on ur mac.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Detect? First will auto activate online, the second you might have to phone (as stated), but should also activate.
    So the answer is yes & no

sebus

14. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    They can but will not, at least that's how it was before and is now.