Doubt on Recovery Factory Windows 8 OEM partition

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by davison_silva, Nov 28, 2013.

1. davison_silva

davison_silva MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2013
    hello, guys I have a question about the recovery partition Windows 8 OEM Single Language.

so I copied the recovery partition to a USB stick, but I wonder if there is a method to create a Bootable ISO from files.

screenshot:

Screen 01.JPG Screen 02.JPG Screen 03.JPG

so, as you can see in screenshot 3, the files are in the windows. swm
    the swm file can be opened by DISM? I can transform it into a install.wim?:confused:

I don't want to download windows 8.1, prefer the same 8

can use this tool: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/21978-Windows-7-8-OEM-Recovery-Partition-Creator

to create a bootable ISO?

thx. in advance

sorry my bad english

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #2 Flipp3r, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Windows 8.X has a tool that will prep your USB key & copy over the recovery.
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\RecoveryDrive.exe
    I would not bother trying to make an ISO as your install.* files are already 8GB so you'll run out of space even on dual layer DVD.

You could use oscdimg to create an ISO. Sample:
    Code:
    Oscdimg -m -l"HRM_CCSA_X86FRE_EN-US_DV5" -bootdata:2#p0,e,bD:\Win832BIT\boot\Etfsboot.com#pEF,e,bD:\Win832BIT\efi\microsoft\boot\Efisys.bin -u1 -udfver102 D:\Win832BIT D:\Win832BIT.iso
    Yes, you can mount/extract/export/etc using dism & split wim Install.swm...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. davison_silva

davison_silva MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2013
    #3 davison_silva, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    thx. Thanks, but I managed to copy the WIM file from recovery partition.
    thx for the help.

4. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    I tampered with the rights of files on this recovery partition. Then my Asus T100-chi laptop would not boot. The special boot feature on this device works, but from the menu it says it cannot find the installation files on the partition for a reinstall. My bad. Also, this device uses a dumb USB3 micro-b connector. Which does not accept any USB device. Or I do not have the correct connector. I need advice for the right connector, so I can reinstall my win8.1 from a win8.1 bootable USB.

5. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Really? You sound like you it is all too much to deal with...
    I am sure adapter came with the unit (they do get supplied even with no brand cheapo tablets)