Downgrade From Win 8 Pro (OEM) to Win 7 Professional?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TheVoid, Oct 28, 2012.

1. TheVoid

TheVoid MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2012
    Would it be possible to buy a new laptop with windows 8 pro installed and downgrade down to win 7 pro. My problem is that i do not have a win 7 pro key. Is it possible to get this to work still? Anyone know? I'm a total noob here and the above is slightly above my head. I saw a few links online which i can't post here since my post count isn't high enough that they allow downgrading but i'm not sure i understand it enough or if it would in fact work without a win 7 pro key.

My view of it was that I would be able to do so as long as I had the iso (which i can download from the internet). Not entirely sure if i can just activate it using the win 8 key though or I would still need to provide a win 7 key. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Yes and no. You can't use your Windows 8 product key to activate Windows 7. According to Microsoft's downgrade guide, the following must take place:

For an OEM purchased machine, you've essentially got two choices; a) chase up the manufacturer of your machine for a Windows 7 product key/license, although this will technically invalidate your Windows 8 license, or b) install Windows 7 using Daz's loader.

This, ironically, is the one situation in which using Daz's loader ISN'T illegal, as by the downgrade rights, you're licensed to install and run a copy of Windows 7. It also has the benefit of not cancelling your Windows 8 license, which means when you realise that you've nothing to gain from staying on 7, you can re-install 8.

3. TheVoid

TheVoid MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks. can you point me to the right place to learn more about Daz's loader for Windows 7? By using that would that mean my windows 7 would be considered genuine?

4. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    You'll find everything you need here: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/24901-Windows-Loader-Current-release-information

Made by one of our own forum moderators :)

It essentially spoofs OEM SLP activation, and therefore will be recognised as "genuine" by Windows Update and WGA, without actually activating via Microsoft's activation servers. In your unique case, and possibly some other unusual scenarios where people have a Windows 7 license, using it wouldn't actually be considered illegal.

5. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    Funny thought: Can you get a valid Win7 license from the free WMC key? Where do you actually "obtain a corresponding product key for the version of Windows that is eligible for downgrade."?

6. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    #6 mdc, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    No, the downgrade rights only apply to pre-installed OEM licenses and Software Assurance I'm afraid. The WMC is a retail add-on key, and isn't even valid ITSELF without a corresponding legitimate Windows 8 license.

I should also add that technically, any Windows 8 upgrade license (both the 39.99, 14.99 and full retail upgrade - unsure of price) isn't actually legally valid without a Windows 7 license; if your Windows 7 license is an upgrade license, IT'S not valid without an XP or Vista license, and so on. The line between what's legally accepted and what's GENERALLY accepted, however, is a matter of common sense. In the old days (read: Windows 95 era), the motto for multi-PC houses, for example, was, "as long as you have _A_ license for Windows somewhere, that'll do"; regardless of how many machines you had it installed on.

In our house we had 4 PCs with Windows 95 (a mixture of 95A, 95B and 95 OSR2.5), and a single Windows 95 upgrade license between them; if I remember rightly, we DID get checked once, and it was accepted as covering us, despite clauses to the contrary in the EULA.