Downgrade Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 7 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by buzarda, Mar 23, 2015.

1. buzarda

buzarda MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2015
    #1 buzarda, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    A friend asked me to recommend a notebook to buy, and I told him an HP one, which, between the choices he had, and for his budget, it was the best bang for the buck.

The problem was that it comes with a legal installed version of windows 8.1 Pro, and my friend wanted windows 7.

I told him "no problem, it comes with the right to downgrade to windows 7". Since he hesitated, at the problem of installing W7, I guaranteed him that I would do the downgrade, and he purchased the evil notebook.

The problem is that I installed any W7 I had on a pen drive, but at the time of validating the license, it does not accept the one stored in BIOS.
    I did the same thing with lots of notebooks, and used the license pasted by Micros**t under the laptop, and it ever worked, but it looks like W7 cannot read license keys stored in BIOS.
    Anyways, I recovered the key in the bios, and tried to activate W7 with it, but it refuses to accept that string as a valid one.

I called MS support, and they refused to help. They said that it is HP responsibility.

Then I contacted HP support in HP USA, because the notebook is imported from USA (I live in South America).
    HP USA told me that I can only install an HP Windows 7 DVD, or the license will not work, but they will not send me the free DVD because South America is too far, and they are too lazy to give me a download link.
    HP USA told me that I should ask the disk to HP of my country.

So I contacted HP of my country, and asked for the Win 7 DVD, but they refused, because they do not support HP notebooks sold in USA.

It is a catch 22 where HP laughs all the way to the bank with my friend money, meanwhile we are totally f**ked.

On synthesis: HP gave me the middle finger, and refuses to honor his obligation of providing the paid Win 7 downgrade.

So, the question is: is possible to force win 7 to accept the BIOS key?

I think that W7 does not recognize the key because it does not support UEFI, but I do not have any W7 CD with UEFI support, didn't found any way to install UEFI support, and do not even know if that has something to do with the problem.

I replaced the HD with a SSD, so I still have the W8.1 fully installed on his HD.

2. TrustMe

TrustMe MDL Member

May 2, 2013
    I do know much about the BIOS but there is a HP Windows 7 Professional 64bit DVD on eBay for $10 U.S. Maybe that will help.

3. GezoeSloog

GezoeSloog knows a guy, who knows another guy.

Feb 10, 2012
    Wouldn't it be easier just to install Classic Shell? :p

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I totally agree. I don't even notice the difference between my Win8 & Win7 boxes. My apps are run from taskbar or desktop...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. buzarda

buzarda MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2015
    I already installed classic shell on the 8.1, but it has a nasty problem with the wireless network: it does not works when a wireless HP printer is on the same network, and HP haves no updated driver, and offers no solution, other than a "refund", which is only valid on USA.

The wireless driver in 7 works flawlessly.