Downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7 with GPT partitions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by taz92761, Sep 21, 2013.

1. taz92761

taz92761 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2013
    I have been doing extensive research on downgrading my new Toshiba laptop from windows 8 to windows 7. I have a Toshiba Satellite S75D-A7272. Here is the list of Information I know you will probably need:
    MD A10-5750M APU with Radeon HD Graphics,
    8.00 GB Ram,
    1TB HDD(920 GB actually),
    quad core processor, and 7 different partitions on my hard drive. I have downloaded Easus Partition Master and that's how I found out about the GPT type of partitions and that I have 7 of them. all of them are NTFS except 1 which is the FAT32. Could you please tell me whether I will be able to use Daz's loader and should I burn the loader onto the DVD with windows 7 or not.

2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    no Daz loader will not work if you have a GPT partition.

Do what I did,

backup all your important data to an external USB coz we will be doing a complete wipe of your HDD

Your SSD/HDD is probably formatted as a GPT partition and it is best to convert it to MBR

While you are at the partition selection screen, press SHIFT + F10

You will get a DOS Command Prompt Window

Type diskpart then hit Enter
    Type select disk 0 then hit Enter
    type clean then hit Enter
    type convert mbr then hit Enter
    type create partition primary align=4096 size=102400 then hit enter (this will create a 100 GB partition for C: and give it a 4K alignment, change the number as you wish)
    type create partition primary align=4096 (this will create the 2nd partition with all the remaining space and give it a 4K alignment)
    Close the DOS Command Prompt Window
    Click on the Refresh Blue arrow to redisplay your partitions, then install Windows on the first partition

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Very true. The reason I didn't even suggest that is his system came preloaded with Windows 8 so 98% he won't have SLIC in the BIOS but he is feel to try.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. taz92761

taz92761 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2013
    Thank you Ian82 for replying. I forgot to add the fact that this is a brand new (2 weeks) laptop under a 3 year warranty. Is there any way to just keep windows 8 on it's own partition and use the rest for windows 7? I know that I'm probably messing up the warranty but I really hate this new windows 8. I am a college student and really need to have windows 7 in order to transfer homework and things between home and school. Sorry, I've done this before with my desktop but it was an upgrade from windows xp to windows 7 and I'm leery of destroying my hard drive.

6. taz92761

taz92761 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2013
    How do you use the SLIC-TOOLKIT? It doesn't come with instructions or maybe I just couldn't find them? I'm a dummy so I need a step by step. Thank you urie for the suggestion and the help.

7. taz92761

taz92761 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2013
    Need to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7, Please help!

I have a Toshiba Satellite S75D laptop and I would like to know how to downgrade to windows 7, I have copy and pasted the system info so all of you can see what I have to work with. I would like to know whether I can use a loader or do I have to modify the BIOS. The partitions say GPT for type and I see something about EUFI. I don't know what these are but can someone please help an old college student? I am a newbie so I need simple explanations and step by step directions if possible..
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 8
    Version 6.2.9200 Build 9200
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name COLLEGEPC
    System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
    System Model Satellite S75D-A
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU PSKNSU
    Processor AMD A10-5750M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. 1.10, 6/7/2013
    SMBIOS Version 2.7
    Embedded Controller Version 1.10
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer AMD
    BaseBoard Model Not Available
    BaseBoard Name Base Board
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
    Windows Directory C:\windows
    System Directory C:\windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.2.9200.16442"
    User Name CollegePC\COLLEGEPC\Trudy
    Time Zone Central Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 7.19 GB
    Available Physical Memory 5.44 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.32 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 6.33 GB
    Page File Space 1.13 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys
    Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
    Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
    Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

8. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    First you need to check Toshiba's website to see if there are DRIVERS available for that laptop and "Windows 7". If there are not then your screwed.

If there are then you need to turn on legacy bios and just install a fresh copy of windows 7... then download all the windows 7 drivers.

9. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    what the hell is this? what do you want us to do with this spammy data? :rolleyes:

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I have merged thread no need to start another one on same subject.

12. taz92761

taz92761 MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2013
    Sorry, this is my way of giving you all the information you might need about my machine. I don't always understand what you want or need for information on my laptop. I just did the best I can to get your help and it's greatly appreciated even if I add extra info. thanks to all who help.

13. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    that is not useful info my friend. it tells nothing you don't simply copy/paste any text and put it on a forum thinking that may help. read again, what does it tell us? nothing

something useful would be for example listing all your hardware components, such as CPU speed, Type

VGA card, Sound Card, WLAN, LAN, get all those info from device manager, list the exact name / model, then right click on each one of them, go to properties, look at the Driver tab, and type to us what is the driver version

that is an example of useful information

14. usju

usju MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2012
    I simply created a recovery disc set using the utility thats preinstalled in the laptop, and then wiped all the partitions. You dont need to worry about losing Windows 8 if you do this. I presume thats the reason you want to dual-boot W8 and W7.