Downloading problems with Win8.1/IE11

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by doveman, Jul 18, 2014.

  1. doveman

    doveman MDL Member

    Apr 22, 2010
    208
    9
    10
    I've just done a fresh install of Win8.1 and whenever I download a file with IE11, it seems there's at least a 50/50 chance that it will say something like "the file is missing or corrupted. Retry?". Clicking Retry and it always then downloads OK but it's rather annoying and I've never had this problem on any Win7 system I've used.

    Anyone got any ideas? I'm using an Asus Z97-A board with the TurboLAN software from their website, so I wonder if that, or some setting for the Intel NIC could be the issue, although I'd be surprised if the default settings cause this. There was also the Intel LAN package of drivers/apps from the website which I installed but I think that's it as far as the NIC is concerned.
     
  2. PaulDesmond

    PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

    Aug 6, 2009
    7,008
    7,160
    240
    have you tried with other browsers?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. doveman

    doveman MDL Member

    Apr 22, 2010
    208
    9
    10
    I used en-gb_windows_8.1_enterprise_with_update_x64_dvd_4048611.

    I should indeed try another browser to check if it's a IE11 issue or somewhere else but I do need to make IE11 work reliably as this is a build for my Dad and he insists on using IE, despite my efforts to get him to use Iron :rolleyes:
     
  4. Hadron-Curious

    Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

    Jul 4, 2014
    3,396
    464
    120
    It could also be a problem from the server side. Try to ping the server and run a tracert to check for any network related issue.
     
  5. PaulDesmond

    PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

    Aug 6, 2009
    7,008
    7,160
    240
    theoretically yes but he tells us that it didn't occur with W7
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Hadron-Curious

    Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

    Jul 4, 2014
    3,396
    464
    120
    You are correct, sir. The fact that the file he tries to download from a particular server, perhaps, is different from the one in Windows 7 makes me to be suspicious of the server's side in this issue.
     
  7. Aemsa

    Aemsa MDL Member

    Feb 17, 2014
    116
    24
    10
    Uninstall the turbo-lan stuff and use only the driver? sounds like the nvidia networking controller issue some years ago.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. PaulDesmond

    PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

    Aug 6, 2009
    7,008
    7,160
    240
    let us wait upon reports with other browsers and then take further action on his problem. Since EI11 is the most wanted browser, daddy likes to use, there certainly is a solution for that problem
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Hadron-Curious

    Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

    Jul 4, 2014
    3,396
    464
    120
    I concur on your statement that we should wait to hear from him on the outcome of testing it with other browsers.
     
  10. CorporateRAT

    CorporateRAT MDL Member

    Aug 4, 2012
    241
    44
    10
    It's a bug in IE11. Make sure your system is updated and try to run SFC /scannow from elevated command prompt.
     
  11. doveman

    doveman MDL Member

    Apr 22, 2010
    208
    9
    10
    Well everything seems to download fine in Chrome (Portable).

    In fact, with IE11 I think it only happens when I select Run rather than Download but then it happens with all kinds of different websites, so not a server problem and it always seems to work fine when I then click Retry.

    I have in fact now uninstalled TurboLAN, prevented AI Suite 3.exe from loading and disabled all the ASUS services

    ASUS COM
    ASUS HM COM
    ASUS System Control
    ASUS Webstorage
    ASUS Fancontrol

    which has at least fixed my severe DPC latency problem. I'll do some more testing with IE11 to see if it still has this problem with downloading though.
     
  12. doveman

    doveman MDL Member

    Apr 22, 2010
    208
    9
    10
    #13 doveman, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    (OP)
    It does seem to be working with IE11 OK now.

    I disabled the Avast! addon as that causes IE11 to open two extra blank tabs whenever I click on a link in gmail, so I re-enabled that to see if it was the cause of the downloading bug but haven't been able to recreate it with it enabled now.

    I did also do a sfc /scannow. I think the only thing it fixed was my termsrv.dll patch (which I need to redo) but there's so much text in the log, I can't be sure!

    EDIT: Actually, it just happened again '... might have been moved or deleted'. Although I disabled the Avast! addon already, it's icon still shows in the toolbar, so it probably doesn't get unloaded until you restart IE, so I'll do that now.