Downloading torrents spoofed

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by NikosGr, Sep 7, 2012.

1. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Hello is there a way to downbload torrents with uTorrent without my real ip address can be seen?
    i mean by suing proxies or Tor or somenting.
    please enlight me!
    Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MDL Geek

MDL Geek MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2012
    Do you mean something like put.io or BitLet?

3. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    wow! nice sites you posted! ill try them!

But i mean a way to encrypt network traffic behidn proxies or by sing the Tor anonymity service so even my ISP wont know what iam downloading!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MDL Geek

MDL Geek MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm not sure if that even exists!!! Maybe someone else will have a better solution.

Meanwhile, you may use Tor with put.io or BitLet.
    If you are that desperate to hide your IP, use VPN. Just google free VPN services. Many are free but with limitations.

BTW, are you trying to download something illegal? I mean, ISPs don't track each and every user do they? Who has so much free time? :p But if you do something illegal and someone gets a hint of it, you may be in serious trouble!!! Why take the risk? :p :D
    I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

5. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Can you tell me how put.io and BitLet works? i mean instead of downloading the videos/music to my hdd i download them in the cloud instead?

6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    You can also set up your torrent client to only accept encrypted connections I think.

7. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Does put.io and BetLit annoucne my real ip address when i give them a torrent file to download or they act as procies so iam spoofed?

Also how can i use Tor with these services? I mean they are not apps on my hdd to force them to connect to Tor Network they are online services!

8. MDL Geek

MDL Geek MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm not sure how put.io woks. From what I tested, it downloads the contents to a cloud storage. And it offers a direct download link. So the torrents are downloaded by directly by put.io and indirectly you. So probably the IP of put.io will be tracked. put.io is like a virtual drive like many other cloud storage. So you can transfer the torrents, access your files, and do everything as you could do to a cloud storage. In short, all you need is a browser.

BitLet is a probably a Java based app which works similar to bittorrent but does not require installation. You need to use it with any browser.

Tor also uses a browser (probably Aurura). So, you can use both put.io and BitLet using Tor. Simply use the browser.

But on a serious note, what exactly are you trying to download? Is it illegal in any way? Why are you trying to maintain so much secrecy? I have a shrewd suspicion that it is.

9. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I download movies/music from private torrent trackers yes and i want my ip to be hidden.

if i use put.io/LetBit those services download the file for me right? So their ip address can only be seen by the other torrent clients that are also downloading the file and not my real ip address, is that correct?

But if this is the case how do i know that put.io/LetBit doesnt share my real ip with someone else informing him what/when did i download?

10. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Stop using Public torrent sites, only use Private Invite Only sites, problem solved.

11. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Using a privatetorrent tracker doesnt mean that 3rd-party people can't see my real ip address and also waht iam downloading.

@MDLGeek: please answer me friend if you know.

12. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Most private trackers don't allow the use of anonymizing proxies or Tor, so check their rules first or it might get you banned.

13. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Why is that?!

14. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    It could be used to circumvent IP bans, or it could appear that you're sharing your account with others if you're logging in from many different IPs. Also, you don't want to end up connecting with the same IP as someone else on the site anyway, because if someone is violating the site's rules (e.g. ratio cheating), your account might be banned just as well if you've been sharing their IP.

An example from what.cd's rules:

15. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Most private sites also have rules that say if you work for the government or law enforcement your not allowed to use the tracker. So unless they have a warrent to the site you have nothing to worry about because they would be gathering information illegally (same as breaking into a house to steal evidence) and it can't be used in a court of law.

16. nedkelly

nedkelly MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2009
    If it was only that simple :-(

17. MDL Geek

MDL Geek MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2012
    Let me the make the following as clear as I can:

1. IP: Your IP can reveal nothing more than your city of residence (i.e. your city, country etc. But nothing more than city.) To get additional details (your name, exact address, street, etc.), anyone must go through a legal battle. Without a court order, your ISP cannot and will not reveal your details. So stop panicking about showing your IP in the first place.

2. ISP: The suggestions I gave you might be able to camouflage your IP from fellow peers, but not from your ISP. I may be wrong, but from what I know its impossible to hide your online activities from your ISP. I strongly believe it is essential for the security of a nation and safety of human race to keep a check on what data is transferred and received by a user. But once again, ISPs never reveal your personal information unless its absolutely essential. Thousands of users download movies by torrent and how many are many caught? Not many... Why? Because the act is not threatening enough (once again, exceptions may occur).

3. Tor: I'll echo 100's words. Moreover, from what I checked the IP addresses provided by Tor are mostly blacklisted somewhere or the other... Don't believe me? Give it a try yourself.

4. Downloading movies: Most movies these days are available for download as direct download links rather than torrents. Just google it! If you are still panicked about people seeing your IP, you can try these. I think Tor should work in these cases. Keep in mind, in most cases, the downloads are non-resumable.

5. Legal issues: Try to stay as much as possible on the right side of law and order. As I said before, its better to be safe than sorry. Simply said, stay away from shady stuff.

Did I get my point across?

Hope that helped! :)

18. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Thank you very much for your detailed info!

By direct download links you mean file hosters links?

19. MDL Geek

MDL Geek MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2012
    I guess I was too detailed... :eek: Nevertheless, you are welcome.
    But yes. These files are mostly hosted at some file sharing site. e.g. rapidshare, turbobit, mediafire etc.
    But mostly you'll find the links to the files at some website, so its better to start with googling. Once again, let me remind you, these links are mostly non-resumable. And you might face problems with Tor. In all cases, you can always use your default browser with normal IP.
    And stay away from illegal stuff. You may end in serious trouble.

Just being curious, why were you so paranoid about your IP being showed? And are you still panicked?

20. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Iam not panicked just being curious how things work!

I download movies/music from private torrent trackers yes and i want my ip to be hidden.

if i use put.io/LetBit those services download the file for me right? So their ip address can only be seen by the other torrent clients that are also downloading the file and not my real ip address, is that correct?

But if this is the case how do i know that put.io/LetBit doesnt share my real ip with someone else informing him what/when did i download?

Can you answe rto that too please?