Downloading twice from same server @ full speed

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Stannieman, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Hi,
    When downloading a file from server x I get 350 to 400kbps, when downloading 2 files at the same time from the same server they both drop to about half the speed. This seems obvious, but is there a way to let them both download at full speed?

Thanks,
    Stannieman

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    if its like a hotfile or rapidshare server then you subscribe and get unlimited speeds

3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I know, I tried bitshare now and on my host machine it downloaded 350kbps, but I couldn't download simultaniously without premium (which is abvious).
    Then I booted up a vm with bridged connection (so it different ip than host) and I could download simultaniously with the host machine. Both dropped so speed host + speed guest =+ 350.
    I don't think the server knows that I'm the same downloader, cause otherwise it'd still have prevented the guest from downloading.

And yes I know it isn't really fair what I'm trying to do, but when you look at it at a different way then it's true that I use less server time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #4 urie, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    @ Stannieman, as you stated you are tied to limits imposed by server or your router, Just the same when i download from say rapidshare with premium account i get roughly 6241 kbps when downloading one file if i download two or more 6241 is split between files.

Edit 6241 kbps is the fastest speed i can get from my ISP.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If you go through the router (I hope so) your both machines have the same IP
    If the download site limits you do 1 download you would not be able to download from both at the same time

Some sites have different restrictions for free accounts

sebus

6. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    have u tried Jdownloader?

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Ok thanks to all!
    Yes it goes through a router, but the isp limit is not that low.

I'll try jdownloader, although a doubt it will do anything about it.

@urie, I don't really understand what you mean. I know the server can split speed of simultanious downloads if it know's the 2 downloads are from the same place, but since I could download 2 files at the same time I don't think it nows that cause otherwise it wouldn't allow me do download simultaniously, right?
    And there actually is a 1file-at-a-time limit

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If you go though the router you have the SAME IP, the site must have different restrictions

The actual speed is by the other server, not necessary your ISP

RS servers are the fastest, HF is tad slower, same for FS. It also depands on the day/time of the day etc

sebus

9. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I know they have same ip, so must be due to the restrictions then.
    Thanks

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Stannieman, it is JDownloader that I use for multiple downloads.