DPI scaling doesn't work when using Windows classic theme

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by anythingUlike, Aug 16, 2012.

1. anythingUlike

anythingUlike MDL Junior Member

Apr 4, 2011
    #1 anythingUlike, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    Hi,

My 24' screen resolution is 1920x1200. I'm using DPI scaling 150% and it works great with Windows 7 Aero themes. My hardware isn't the newest and the fastest so I would like to switch theme to Windows classic to save some GPU memory. Windows 7 DPI scaling doesn't seem to work with classic themes for any application. Do you have any ideas to fix it? I would be really thankful for help.

2. anythingUlike

Apr 4, 2011
    Do you have any ideas/solutions?

3. anythingUlike

Apr 4, 2011
    XP-style DPI scaling option is greyed out when using classic theme.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Why not just use Aero and be done with it? If it's an older computer, and running fine with Aero, you'll likely have to live with that. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a faster machine.

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Just use the Aero (transparency disabled) or basic theme and disable all of the appearance settings (just search for appearance in your startmenu)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. anythingUlike

Apr 4, 2011
    #7 anythingUlike, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    (OP)
    Because I just like old Win98 style. It uses x3 less vram. My PC is not so old and can handle Aero but it's workaround, not solution ;) Now I think classic theme wasn't designed for DPI scaling. I will look for similar themes. Maybe I will find one which support DPI scaling.

Good idea, I have never tried it before. Unfortunately Windows 7 basic theme doesn't support DPI scaling (damn) and looks ugly. Aero theme with disabled transparency and all efects looks and behaves like classic.