DreamScene and Win7 (how can I enable?)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by teknomedic, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    #1 teknomedic, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
  3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yeah, too much of a resource hacker also.
    And after a few times your mother will be bored by that deskview, so it's hardly worth the effort.

When you're busy normally you don't look at your desktop, so maybe a nice screensaver is a more functional solution for her ?

Just a thought.

4. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    +1

There is a reason they took dream scene out. Wait for DeskScapes 3 to be released which will support Windows 7.

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009

Thanks gentoo.

He's right, you should just wait for DeskScapes. Won't mess up your icons and stuff, and you won't have to break your neck to get it running.

6. Brandypuff

Brandypuff MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2009
    This, like animated acreensavers wastes precious CPU cycles and although DreamScenes is cool, i just can't throw my CPU resources at something that is just eye candy and is covered with other windows most of the time, anyway.

7. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    heck i just wish windows 7 screen saver was better. I liked the screensaver for Vista, it was capable of changing the way it looked, either black&gray, or just the posting of them were cooler. Windows 7 screensaver is boring, just one way.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Which screensaver in Win 7 are you referring to?

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Via live site u can get a screensaver similar to the one in vista regarding possabilities. It replaces the screensaver in win7. Could try that out ? Just a suggestion.

10. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    thanks for all the input guys.

I built my mother's computer for her so I know it's way stronger than she needs so the wasted CPU cycles aren't that important.

Beyond that she really misses the DreamScene and although I'd say she'd be bored with it too... she's had it running for months and still loves it, lol.

I know it will mess up the text, and I'll leave it up to her if that bothers her or not... just needed to know how to enable/disable it so that if she didn't like the text issue it could be resolved.

What's DeskScapes?? Never heard of it... is it just for a video desktop or does it do more... I'll google later, but was just wondering.

11. gearman

gearman MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2009
    Windows 7 Toolkit 1.8 has enable Dreamscene feature in it. I have Win 7 Ultimate x64 and it worked great. Also in Control Panel\ Personalization\ Change desktop icons - uncheck the box that says allow themes to change desktop icons, click apply.It worked for me, icon text went back to normal and dreamscene works great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008