Drive D: is corrupted on installing XP besides Win7. Help needed please

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by jannek999, Jun 13, 2010.

1. jannek999

jannek999 MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    Hi. I've been running Win7 on my Samsung N120 for about 6 month now. I have first deleted all partitions on mu built-in SATA hdd, and made a fresh Win 7 installation via USB-stick. During installation I have made some extra two primary partitions on the HDD and have 4 partitions as:
    1. system reserved 100 MB partition
    2. win 7 partition (c:)
    3. extra partition d: for backups and storage
    4. partition for Arconis

I have activated win7 using Windows 7 Loader 1.7.9 and everything is fine.

Now I wanted to have XP on partition D. and have downloaded WINDOWS.XP.PRO.SP3.32-BIT.(X86).SAMSUNG-904CF15A.OEM.rar from xp section on this forum and put it on usb stick.
    Now, upon booting from usb stick, initially everything looks great, files are loaded but then I get message: "Setup has determined that drive D: is corrupted and cannot be repaired".
    With this I'm stucked. Can onlu reboot into Win7 again. I have tried to repartitioned and reformatted drive D: from within win7 , but always the same message. I have also reactivated win 7 using Windows 7 Loader 1.7.9 but still the same message upon booting installation of xp.
    Finally I thought that the problem could be recognition of the System Reserved Partition (100MB) and have slipstreaded SATA drivers into XP setup files, but still the same error message.

Can anyone please help me? I have followed the available tutorials of implementing xp besides win 7 but this problem seems to me a hard nut to crack.

Thanks in advance.

/jannek999
    Now

2. zedbra

zedbra MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    if im understanding you correctly this should explain....
    when using a Boot manager to run multiple OS on a single HD, the OS that is not being used can not be accessed. for example;
    when running XP the partition that holds Win7 cannot be accessed, and when running Win7 XP partition cannot be used.
    you should however be able to run either Windows using the boot manager upon startup. it should ask "which Windows to load"

keep in mind i am no expert in this area, this is how i understand boot managers work. someone correct me if im wrong:)

3. DesertJerry

DesertJerry MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2010
    When installing multiple versions of Windows the usual procedure is to install the oldest first; in this case XP, then Win7. This takes care of the any boot problems.

Reformat the drives/partitions and start over: XP then Win7

4. zedbra

zedbra MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    yup, thats how i do it, and no problems for me:D

5. xmen1

xmen1 MDL Novice

May 18, 2010
    hi, i dod somthing like that, instaled win7 and win xp, and
    when i reboot "whitch windows to load" were gone and only boot windows xp , and then i used my win7 disk to repair windows, that was the only way that i know , but i cant no longer boot in win xp , i think there is a way to make those "which windows to load" to came back, so you can load any of your windows, plaese any help, will be great thank you .

6. zedbra

zedbra MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2010
    windows 7 has its own boot manager built in. the way i do it is make two partitions on a single HD(for me its 250GB and 250GB, 500 slit in two)
    then do a clean install of XP on the first partition, once XP is completely installed run the Win7 setup, select the vacant partition to install. after Win7 completes reboot and the "Which Windows" screen will appear for a half a minute. simply select "Older Windows" to start XP, select Windows7 to start 7, or simply do nothing and Win7 will boot as the default OS.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Member doesn,t need to reformat drives e.c.t just download EasyBCD it can sort out the bootloader.