Drive letters keep changing after every reboot

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TheMrCaveman, Jan 20, 2013.

1. TheMrCaveman

TheMrCaveman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    #1 TheMrCaveman, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Hey guys,

I have a problem with my windows 8.
    Everytime i reboot my pc my driveletters change wich is a big pain in the ass.:eek:
    How do i fix this?:confused:

System spec's:

I7 3770k
    Maximus V Formula thunder fx
    16GB Corsair Dmonitaor Platinum
    2x Samsung 830 128GB ssd in raid 0
    2x Western Digital RE 4-GP 2TB
    2x Western Digital RE3 WD5002ABYS, 500GB
    1 asus Asus HD7970-DC2T-3GD5

The 2 ssd disk are connected to the intel s6 controller in raid 0, the other disks to the asmedia controller and are normaly configured so no raid setup.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Normally, drive letters do not change in W8. If you do not describe your configuration, nobody can help you

3. TheMrCaveman

TheMrCaveman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    edited first post with system info:eek:

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    puh, this is a lot of stuff in one box. I never did such things and so far, I'm not in the position to get you professional help but to me it smells like driver/controller issue. Did you update your software to manufacturer's specific drivers or do you use the generic ones that came with W8? How about your bios? ... Just guesses.
    i'm sure you will receive best answers soon :D

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use a lot HDD's as well. Also assigned the drive letters A and B for Account and other Documents drive B and A is used for the development.

After installing Windows, first I do is to change all drive letters using the Disk Management Tool. BD Drive is always drive Z while DVD are drive are Y and If I've 2 DVD Drives also X. I also name all drives because it's more easy to access them via Network.

Except the System HDD, A and B drive I give other HDD's the drive letters backward starting by letter W.

I leave all removable drives as assigned by Windows, may name them too.

Using that system, I don't have problems with change of the drive letters.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #6 moderate, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    easy thing (if you have two or more pieces of same specs drive or more controllers in PC, Windows can switch them, unless you firmly specify the letters for them):
    1. Run diskmgmt.msc
    2. Click on every partition (except system C:), select change letters and then choose some temporary letters (U:, V:, W:, X:, Y:, Z:) (I assume 6 non system drives, one logical partition on each physical drive)
    3. Click on every partition again (except system C:), select change letters and then choose desired letters (D:, E:, F:, G:, H:, I:)
    This will firmly assign letters for drives...

7. TheMrCaveman

TheMrCaveman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    end there i have a problem, 2 of the drives that are shown in diskmgmt are giving errors. when i try changing drive letter it tells me i need to refresh because the console is not up to dateo_O

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That would be the Raid 0 Drives, or am I wrong?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. TheMrCaveman

TheMrCaveman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    No 2 of the non raid drives

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Did you've the MB Driver for Sata from Asus or MS installed? Also other MB drivers like for the chipset from Asus or MS?

11. TheMrCaveman

TheMrCaveman MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    i have the latest intel inf driver from intel itself installed and asmedia controller also use the latest driver from asmedia.

12. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    well, do it in safe mode

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not sure the the Manufacturers Drivers of the Chips are the same as from the Board Manufacturer/ It's possible that Asus is changing some of the driver codes to address the architecture of their MB's. I would go with the MB drivers in first place.