Drive Mapping issue with Server 2008 r2 x64

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Lithium543, May 5, 2012.

1. Lithium543

Lithium543 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2011
    #1 Lithium543, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012
    Hey all,

I have an interesting drive mapping issue. Drives map fine, but when you click around too much, the computer chokes and you get the error "the local device name is already in use." I've played with GPO file permissions as well.

It's got to be something DNS related, however I have no clue what it is. The windows server is running out of the box DNS, set up appropriately, and a router is providing DHCP. DHCP is only use for computers that are considered "guests" by the wireless system. I've tried editing the DNS entries in the machine to only point to the server, and reinstalling the NIC drivers on the server (They're Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE NDIS drivers if it's relevant). There are NO A records on the server pointing to the clients using static IP.

Something else -
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns

fixes the issue sometimes, until it does it again.

To boot, the internet is excruciatingly slow for whatever reason. The server is set to a static address as well. Any ideas? I can't find anything like this anywhere.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If you can, just re-install, after all it is only Windows...
    Often it is not worth trying to fix issues like that

sebus

3. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    Try:
    "netsh int ip reset" at the command prompt.

Resets the stack and clears registry. Also DHCP via router,.. if you're running DNS on the server you might as well run DHCP too - routers can have "memory" issues with DHCP and confuse leases. You will also be able to assign many more options...

Otherwise, as Sebus suggests, a re-install is pretty straightforward.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...