Driver issue(s) with SP1.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vwgolfman, Feb 7, 2008.

1. vwgolfman

vwgolfman MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2007
    I have installed and carried out some testing with both the SP1 RTM DVD and the standalone SP1 update from a non-SP1 install.

Both methods throw up a driver issue with my system.

In case of broadband failure and to enable me to send and receive FAX I have a 56K Modem installed.
    The modem drivers install perfectly well with no problems.
    There are no problems at all WITHOUT SP1.

With SP1 however after installing the driver and rebooting, the modem has a yellow exclamation mark against it in Device Manager.
    Further investigation shows

Device Status:
    This device cannot start (Code 10).

It appears that the issue is with a driver for the "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device" which appears under Sound, Video and Game Controllers once the modem drivers are installed.
    The driver for the Unimodem Half-Duplex Device is automatically installed by Vista (from it's driver base) when the modem drivers are installed and is different for SP1 than it is for non-SP1.

I do not experience this issue with a non-SP1 install but as soon as I update to SP1 using the standalone executable it rears its ugly head.

As I understand it the Service Pack is already final and will not be modified before release to the public via Windows Update. Windows Update will scan your machine and if it includes any hardware which has conflicts with drivers included in SP1 (like mine) then either it will not offer SP1 at all or it will warn you that you may encounter problems should you go through with the install.

Personally I shall continue with SP1 as I have not encountered any other issues. I have removed the old modem and shall replace it with one which I know has no issues with SP1 drivers (if there is such a beast) :D