Driver replacement blocking during upgrade.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by chillipig, May 25, 2018.

1. chillipig

chillipig MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Today I upgraded a Linx 1010 from 1607 to 1803 and on completion witnessed complete driver chaos.

Touch is gone, wifi, can no longer ID anything as display. Messed with it / ran WU etc but might as well just start again with a clean install time wise.

Although I've found this chipset particually problematic the option to leave existing drivers in place would be a great addition to the full install process.

Is anyone aware of a successfull method or anyone working on a project for this?

Thanks.

2. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    check drivers with SDI Tool.

3. chillipig

Dec 26, 2009
    Yes its a great tool generally but the drivers it matches to this model do not work. Prevention is really what I'm looking at.

4. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Best practices for feature upgrades is to not let Windows do it on it's own,
    but
    Get the ISO, mount it, open a Command Prompt, launch setup with parameters: setup.exe /MigrateDrivers all
    Other parameters that you might find useful: /ResizeRecoveryPartition Disable /ShowOOBE none

You can also interrupt an ongoing automatic feature upgrade, then run it manually from probably C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources - same as above, only executable is not setup.exe but setuphost.exe

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Would this work? I use it to prevent Windows Updates from hijacking my video and audio card drivers...not sure how it would behave during an OS upgrade.

gpedit.msc: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions
    Prevent installation of devices that match any of these devices IDs
    enabled > show > add the IDs

6. chillipig

Dec 26, 2009
    This is probably the only real option out there. I was hoping someone had figured out how to let the upgrade process think it had copied in and replaced existing drivers without it actually doing so as WU will no doubt see they arent there and update them anyway as soon as the machine goes online. Then its a case of manually switching back again.

7. chillipig

Dec 26, 2009
    I did this back last year a few times with video and touchpad drivers, the upgrade process disables the blocked hardware driver, does not delete it but cannot install another so you boot back to the desktop with missing drivers untill you remove the restriction.

8. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Ah, and let me guess, the second you remove the restriction Window 10 RAMS in all the bad stuff we're trying to avoid before you can set things up the way you want? I f#$%ing hate Windows 10.