Driver Updater

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by user469, May 17, 2023.

1. user469

user469 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I tend always to update windows driver to the lastes version i really dont know if it is a good practice or not.
    Normally for work i use w10 and for my pleasure w7 and i want to revive some XP hdd on new hardware.

So my problem is to understand wich one of the pletora of driver update software tools wil work on the 3 win os mentioned above and does a really good job using signed driver that will not crash my os at boot.

Just to name a few most known , DriverEasy , DriverBooster , IObit , DriverTalent , DriverMax , DriverPack , DriverGenius.

I'm sure anydoby has a positive or negative opinion for the subject so comments are welcome. Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Don't use any of them. They list generic drivers (like a generic Realtek Audio Driver for example) that isn't meant to work 100% with your computer as OEM drivers sometimes have specific drivers that enable specific feature and are also tested to work 100% with your hardware. You will gain nothing from driver updates (except graphics card drivers) other than headaches. Stay away from them and just get the drivers from the manufacturer directly.

I have a list of driver updates bookmarks form my computer that I get directly from the manufacturer like nVIDIA Grahics Drivers, Intel Wireless Drivers, Intel Bluetooth Drivers, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MDUDE3st

MDUDE3st MDL Novice

May 20, 2013
    As far as keeping drivers up-to-date is concerned, there’s nothing wrong with continuing in that practice IMO but of course with updating software, especially drivers, there’s always the chance something can go wrong. To prevent that, I would always recommend going to official sources for driver updates first whether it be Windows Update or the hardware manufacturer’s website to see what’s available for the OS you’re installing it on. I have tried some of the driver update programs you listed such as Driver Booster, DriverMax, & DriverPack Solution in the past and I personally do not recommend using them as they all have tried installing drivers that were either not the best match and/or also tried to install extra software I never asked for. If you really want to go ahead and find the absolute most recent compatible drivers using a driver updater program, I recommend using Snappy Driver Installer. SDI is able to find hardware drivers as far back as Windows XP so it might be able to help with your systems but might be a stretch depending on your plans with the XP HDD if you introduce it to incompatible hardware.

4. user469

user469 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2015
    OK so i will try SDI for W7 and expecially for XP, by the way do you think i can update also driver on XP to use the old hdd on new hardware pc ?
    (this is my goal on XP)

5. user469

user469 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I tried as many as 10 driver update tools for an old Compaq 6735B with a missing XP driver and no one included SDI or SDIO could not find the missing driver.

Then i found and tried Wise Driver Care that apart from finding the missing driver notified me of 6 new driver update and all WHQL (you can set it form otions) but of course you need to google for the Pro version.

PS i do change title of post and set it to resolved ?