Drivers for Acronis Universal Restore?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by jetjock, Oct 3, 2016.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I am trying to learn something here so please bear with me.

I am trying to restore a backup of my computer to an old Lenovo laptop just so I can learn what is required in case I ever have to do something like that for real. In doing an Acronis Universal Restore, the drivers for the "New" computer are required. I don't have the original install disk for the computer, but the drivers are already on the computer or available at Lenovo's Web site.

Can I get these drivers from the Windows\System32\Drivers folder of the Win 7 that is on the Lenovo now and copy all the .sys files to a USB drive? Or, just point Acronis to this folder when it asks for driver location? Are all of the .mui files located in sub-folders there required also? Will Acronis find these drivers during the restore process on it's own without me telling it anything?

If anyone is proficient at using Acronis Universal Restore, I would be grateful for all the help I can get. It would sure save a lot of time over just a trial and error method learning. Thanks.

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. arcon49

arcon49 MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2017
    #2 arcon49, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    To use Acronis Universal Restore on a machine with different hardware, you need: (in general 5 steps): For Acronis True Image 2016 edition:

(A) download the Acronis Universal Restore installation file and install; installed in the Start menu of Acronis in the "run the Universal Restore Media Builder", and open the Acronis True Image software, see the "ACRONIS Universal Restore" .
    (B) must also:
    (1). Download and install Win7 (WPE3.0) "WIN AIK automatic installation kit
    (2). Download and install WPE4.0) Windws "Evaluation and Deployment Toolkit

(3) Run Acronis Universal Restore Media Builder to create a Universal Restore bootable media and select Add to Windows PE. Check the "create x64 media" "automatically create winpe" → "add" the driver folder or file, → "wwim image" → select the c drive and then click the lower left corner of the text file style icon, See "C: \ Acronis WIM Media .wim" → "Next" → "Continue" until "Finish" appears at the "File name". At this time in the C root directory there will be a "Acronis WIM media. Wim" file.
    (4) into the U disk, run Acronis True Image, select the top of the "backup source" → "disk and partition" C disk tick, → "OK." And then click the "select the target" "point below" Browse ... "point" computer "left" + "and then select your U disk below" OK. "Then click the disk and partition the following" options " Select "Backup" → "Full" → "Advanced" → "Removable Media Settings" → Select all of the seven items in the window, and click "OK" until the backup is complete ..
    (5)Insert the USB disk .Set the BIOS for the U disk to boot. into the Acronis interface,into the machine to be restored , Select "Acronis True Image" and then select the recovery of the "disk and partition recovery" → U disk to find the backup file in the first (the suffix is.Tib), → "Next" (or select the "new location" of the disk and partition → "accept") → "Next" until the completion of the next .

3. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Wow, thanks for the "late" reply. I just stumbled onto it this morning when checking another thread. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this and will give it a try. :clap:

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...