Drivers in XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by ebuddy, May 7, 2007.

1. ebuddy

ebuddy MDL Novice

May 7, 2007
    Hi every-buddy :)
    I need help about windows drivers.

My problem: :confused:
    I'm having Compaq PIII (800MHz). I've got WindowsMillennium as OS with my computer. Compaq guys didn't gave MotherBoard drivers CD with my PC.

Now I want to migrate to WindowsXP. If I format my hard-disk and install WindowsXP freshly, will I be needed to install drivers for hardwares?:(
    I think for most of the hardwares WinXP has inbuild generalized drivers (like for Sound card, grphics adapter etc etc.). So I'm interested in knowing how to migrate to WinXP with clean install (I don't want to keep old WinME).

Is there any way to get drivers from old WinME to WinXP if at all drivers are needed.

Please help me :) as my PC is garbled with garbage files...

Regards,
    eBuddy

2. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 24, 2007
    What's the model for your Compaq PC? You should be able to download all drivers for your PC from HP/Compaq support site.

3. ebuddy

ebuddy MDL Novice

May 7, 2007
    Thanks - will try this

Hi there, thanks for the hint. I'll try to download it from their website.:)

4. DougK

DougK MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2007
    Try a new HDD

A relatively risk free way is to buy a new hard disk (you always need more storage).
    Format & load the new o/s on to the new HDD.
    Download any drivers the o/s thinks it needs.
    Then transfer data from the old hard disk.

the advantage is that you have the old HDD to go back to in case anything goes wrong.

DougK

5. sayarthein@yahoo.com.sg

Jun 15, 2007
    hello i have a qestion regarding about driver?
    i have ever tried to win vista upgrade adviser to my computer. I found that the system catagory- they advise me to download a window xp driver for all video cards on my computer. Or Do i need to upgrade my current video card.? If i choose the first option, please tell me what kind of driver file i have to download and How to replace it?

CPU-Intel (R)p (R) D 2.66ghz
    Memory-5.3 mb
    Os-Win xp Pro (5.01.2600 sp2)
    Graphic Card-Intel(R)82865G Graphic Controller
    Graphic Driver-NVIDIA corp. 6.14.10.3865

6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    So do what they suggest. Go to the homepage of your video card manufacturer and look for an adequate driver.

What I do when I'm installing a new OS:
    1) Backup important data
    2) Format hard disk
    3) Install new OS
    4) Let the system build up "itself". If there is anything missing, it will tell you about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...