Drivers question

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bergy37, Jan 14, 2016.

1. bergy37

bergy37 MDL Member

Dec 23, 2015
    I have a external modem hocked up to my PC and I have the drivers on my desktop. Instead of having the OS install the modem drivers, how do I set it up so it uses the drivers on my desktop? Right now, In device manager i deleted the modem so it will need to install it again.

How do I set this up, plz?

thx

2. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    When Windows detects new hardware it tries to install it. While it is doing that you can tell it to skip installing it automatically so you can do so manually.

Even if it does install it automatically, you can always install a new driver manually from within Device Manager. Device Properties > Driver Tab > "Update Driver" > "Browse My Computer..." > point it to the directory with the extracted driver.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    how is this modem hooked up to pc.. usb or parallel or serial cable ?
    modem model.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally only Dial Up Modems (external) need to get some driver installed and most of them are connected by USB (newer) and/or RS232 Serial (older)!

So a precise Model of the Modem may would help!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Most manufactures have specs and install guide for their drivers, so providing the brand name, and model number would benefit you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...