Drivers question

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by steven4848, Nov 27, 2018.

1. steven4848

steven4848 MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2018
    Hi all,
    I am using gigabyte h81m ds2 rev.3 mainboard, when I look for drivers in the gigabyte support page, they are usually way behind the general drivers from original manufacturers, e.g the intel chipset driver in the gigabyte page is much older than that of an msi counterpart despite the same chipset. I searched from intel directly but can't find the inf update setup for h81m chipset. same goes for pretty much all other parts like intel hd graphics , realtek audio drivers..etc. my question is should i stick with what gigabyte gives or go for more up to date versions from the component manufacturers (intel,realtek..) ?

my second question is there was a pre-install ahci/raid driver in the motherboard page too, what is it? I AM NOT USING ANY RAID SET UP, do i still need to meddle something before i install windows? do ahci mode require any special driver to work, it is currently enabled in bios and system is running fine, am i loosing anykind of perfomance or something??

thanks in advance.

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    If your current drivers work well with windows and their stable dont touch them go with it...sometimes newer driver dont work well and make your system unstable....usually WU sends down the latest drivers for Intel....as for the raid setup if not setting up any raid drives just leave it u should be fine.

3. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2018
    Sometimes (rarely) the newer version provides some benefits. Reading the changelog helps a lot.

If you don't have any particular problem with your current drivers - don't update them.

Otherwise you should test and see which version works best for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...