Dual Boot 7 & 10 with 7th gen processors

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jachin99, Sep 26, 2018.

1. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I am curious about the feasibility of this idea. Rather than swap between 2 separate PCs, I am wondering if I can dual boot between Win 7 and 10. Some ideal requirements for this would be:

1. It doesn't effect Windows update on the 10 system
    2. The hard drive should be formatted for BIOS to allow backups via Windows home server 2011 for both
    3. If possible, include a third hard drive partition to act as a file share between the two of them.

How realistic is this goal, how difficult would it be, and what tools are necessary to get the job done? Which operating system should I install first? Thanks.

2. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    It can be done, install the OS's from oldest to newest.

Let's say that Windows 7 is installed in partition 1, Windows 10 in partition 2 and the 3rd partition is for the user files from both:

Get in Windows 7, go to the Users folder, enter your user specific folder and CUT Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, Music and OneDrive and PASTE them in the third partition.

Now go to Windows 10 and do exactly the same. The folders will be combined between both Win7 and Win10.

3. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    What would be the easiest way to switch between the two? I have worked with uefi dual boot setups but never bios dual boots. Do I still get to pick an OS when I power on the laptop

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    A boot selector will be created and you can use easybcd or any bcd tool/commandline to alter it.