Dual Boot Kali 2.0 and Windows 10 . Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by alextheg, Jan 13, 2017.

1. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Evening all ;)

Due to my upcoming studies I am going to be using Kali 2.0. I dont mind admitting that when it comes to Linux im a bit of a noob ! However ...... What i want to achieve is a dual boot of W10 x64 and Kali 2.0 x64, with Kali being installed on a spare HDD that i have sitting around at home.

Ive done a fair amount of reading and nearly all of the guides and tutorials ive come across give instruxtions on shrinking the existing Windows partition to create free space, then installing Kali there. In all honesty i dont want to go that way, especially as i have a spare drive sitting around.

Is it as simple as just installing Kali and grub on the same drive , then just changing boot order at startup to get to the relevant OS ?

Is there a better / tidier / more correct method ? Its worth mentioning that my system has a Hybrid BIOS. UEFI / Legacy. Windows 10 installed in EFI mode.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    #3 alextheg, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    It really is that easy. I would just have one drive connected at a time and install each OS as normal. Then just connect both drives and use your BIOS boot selector to choose which drive to boot from (press F12 or whatever it is for your mobo). I haven't checked but expect you mobo would support booting in legacy/mbr mode so as long as this is enable shouldn't have any problems with Kali and grub. Make sure grub is using UUID for drive selection instead of say /dev/sda1 etc. otherwise Kali won't boot if the drive order changes.

I'm not sure about chain loading the Windows 10 boot loader from grub though so you may need to stick with the BIOS boot selector.

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Much reading this past weekend ! Trawled through numerous Kali blogs / forum posts. It seems that Kali can be made bootable from USB drive quite simply. Using the latest Rufus tool the drive must be created using DD image in BIOS / CSM legacy mode.

Then just a case of install Kali from USB and install rEFInd from within Kali.

I'll post my results once I've tried this method.

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Another setback ! After doing a search for driver compatibility it seems there is no Linux drive for my embedded NIC. Killer networks e2100. Now Qualcomm Atheros. Now I must buy a new network adapter before even considering Linux. Most frustrating :rolleyes:

7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @alextheg Hi you already try another distro of Linux O.S. who know if you can find some that you can use, well normally myself start with Ubuntu and make install if all works fine I stay with it for some time while search for another; unfortunately Linux O.S. have this issues :)

8. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    Yes, Linux and exotic hardware don't play nice. Thankfully a cheap used Intel or Realtek card will get you up and running. Don't give up.

9. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    There is no Linux support for my NIC in any distro .

Quite right, I'm looking at Intel pro 1000. Easily obtained for little money...... I'm not giving up. Just a setback but it wll be worth it in the end.

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @alextheg yep very sad ;) but in another hand I know you can solve this problem and I like to see you running Linux here I bet in you :biggrin:

11. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    It won't be long, just got to get my new NIC and I'll be good to go

12. Raur

Raur MDL Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Hi everyone! I may be off-topic and linux noob here but I'm interested in learning Kali Linux. I want to achieve a dual boot of W10 x32 and Kali 2018.2 x32, MBR installed on separate partitions on a laptop HDD. My laptop is an old Toshiba Satellite pro, Intel Core2Duo with legacy BIOS. Any good advice?

13. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I have used Kali Linux from USB as a portable OS on my Windows 10 System for quite sometime and one thing I came to understand was in UEFI system you would be better off creating the bootable media with Wind32 Disk Manager for easy bootup. I tried Rufus on DD the USB created booted to a point the screen went blank. I didn't experience that with Win32 Disk Manager yet I have been using Rufus for other OS and it worked so perfectly well.