Dual-boot problem: Can't install Win8 AFTER Windows 10 already installed!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Jayman88, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Jayman88

Jayman88 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015
    I have a clean install of Windows 10 already activated and am having issues with my VPN. I therefore want to re-install Win 8.1 and still keep my Win 10 install, thus having a dual-boot configuration. I want to see if my VPN issue is caused by Win 10.

No matter what version Win 8 iso (general, version specific) I use, no matter what Win 8 key I use (retail or public), I keep getting the same error when I boot from DVD and try to do a clean install of Win 8:

"Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms. Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation"

Any ideas what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks!

2. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Are you trying to install both to a single physical drive? Need more info about your hardware configuration to be of any help.

3. Jayman88

Jayman88 MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015
    I have one single SSD drive with two partitions, second partition is empty reserved for the Win 8.1 install. Unfortunately, I never even get to that step of choosing a drive as the error is showing up on the screen where I enter the windows key.

4. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    #4 Underclocked, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    I know of no simple way to get to your objective. The only way I can think of involves another hard drive and it might not even be doable. It would involve replacing the existing drive, installing 8.1 on that drive. Then make a backup of that install using Acronis or similar. You would then need to restore the image on your current 2nd partition. Use easyBCD to add the Windows 8.1 install on the second partition to the boot loader for 10.

Not simple and not totally sure that would work.

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    It sounds to me like a bad DVD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Missing or not found files usually ends up being a corrupted ISO download or bad DVD burn.

FYI, trying to install W8.x after W10 is going to be a pain.
    No version Windows likes being installed after a 'Newer' version has been installed on a system.
    You'd probably save yourself a lot of time if you do a full backup of your W10 install, wipe the drive and install W8.x, then repartition and restore your W10 backup, then add W10 back to the boot menu.

7. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I've had zero problems with my laptop dual booting Windows 7 & 10. Started with 7. Upgraded to 10. Used Aomei Partition Assistant to resize the W10 partition. Installed W7 to the free space. Single SSD. Ended up with the older (legacy) boot menu, which I prefer. However, this was all done with the older, MBR formatted drive. I tried numerous times with a GPT formatted drive, never got it working.

Be nice to know the OP's computer make/model and drive format (GPT/MBR)

8. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    When you resized the partition for 10, did you decrease it's size to add free space BEFORE the 10 install or after?

9. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    open the iso for Windows 8 - uncompress --> make sure the CLEAN Partition is at least 30gb or more.
    cmd prompt and Dism /apply-image /imagefile:X:\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:X:\
    or use GImageX and apply then edit bcd to show the new Windows and set that as your next boot - save and reboot and let MS set your Windows 8.
    PS: you do not need a key to install this way

10. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    After. It was faster as it didn't require moving data. Now three partions are present - a 100mb (system reserved) system partition, followed by a 55gb (boot) partition for W10 and a second 55gb (boot) partition for W7.

11. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Mutagen, no issue with the Win7 boot loader when Win10 is selected to boot? No message about signed files? I'll admit to not even trying this method of dual boot as I use two physical drives.

12. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    No issues at all. Frankly, I was surprised how well it goes. As already mentioned, it can be a problem for the older OS to recognize a newer one. Again, mbr, no gpt or secure boot. But all OEM 8/8.1 machines I've seen have been gpt - don't know how to approach that.

13. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    For W8.x and W10 theres no real difference between MBR and GPT from the basic installation point of view. (Obviously it uses a different partition setup, but we're not talking about that part here. ;)

Its only W7 that you need to be careful with as it will work off GPT partitions but won't install them as standard.
    And think it maybe the same with Vista :confused: