Dual Boot: Unable to format Disk 0 Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by los318, Nov 3, 2010.

1. los318

los318 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    Little history. I have two 500 Gig hard drives (no raid). The first (disk 0)i used for XP and it was my main OS. The 2nd drive (disk 1) i used for test Win7 Beta. Well i finally got a good copy of Win 7, reformatted disk 1 and loaded Windows 7 Home Preimum. I want to use that as my main drive but when i try to format disk 0 (xp drive) it wont let me know. When i pull up Computer Managment and check the drives i see this (sorry no screenshots) pulled from Windows 7 OS:

Disk 0 Basic: Healthy (System, Active, Primary partition)
    Disk 1 Basic: Healthy (boot,page file, dump,Active, Primary partition)

I'm assuming I cant format Disk 0 because its the system but I have Windows 7 installed to Disk 1, not 0. And just for laughs, i disabled Disk 0 last night and the computer wouldnt boot up with only Disk 1 "active". I knew how to fix it so Disk 0 is "active" again and i'm able to boot up again. But, i still cant understand how i'm able to Load Win7 OS into Disk 1 but it not show as the main system. Any idea's on how to fix this would be great! Thanks !!

Carlos

PS. The reason i'm wanting to wipe Disk 0 is to test other OS's with a clean disk.

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Probably the old MBR issue.

Did you try removing the XP drive, booting the 7 DVD and doing the boot repair (or whatever it was called) ?

Since the 7 drive is primary, active, and contains the bootfiles i have a feeling thats all it takes to fix the issue...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. los318

los318 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    That worked. I switched the cables around, rebooted, repaired the boot with my win 7 install disk and it booted right up. I was even able to format that drive in Win7 with no errors. Thanks!!