Dual Boot Vista and Win7 problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Nicholas440, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    #1 Nicholas440, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    Im using a Dell Studio 1735 laptop and I am currently running Vista on it. I have the Win 7 from the repository, and I have downloaded the loader from here as well.

I would like to keep the Vista as i have a ton of my applications on it and would like to put Win 7 on a " D " partition so I can try out some audio stuff that I was told would work in Win 7 . I would use the Virtual machine which I have in the past to test Win7 out but the Virtual machine will not support audio so I need to put Win 7 on here to try it out.

My problem is, the loader. As far as I know the Loader has to be present or the Win7 files will not work since my Laptop does not have the SLIC to support Win7 . Thats why I decided to try the Loader.

How do I put the Loader on, then install Win7 on the second partition? Do I boot into Vista, and install the Loader, then reboot into the Win7 dvd and install it ? Will the Loader be present and allow me to install Win7 as a dual boot then?

I'm confused because I know the Loader has to be run in order to install Windows 7 .

Any help on the steps I need to do to Dual Boot this With Vista as my normal OS and Win7 as the second OS would be appreciated. I have dual booted in years past but that was with XP and Vista, and had no problem because I didnt need a loader. I think there is a Modded Bios available for my Studio 1735 but Im afraid I might brick this machine and Im just afraid to install the modded Bios for fear of ruining the Bios here. So thats why I'd prefer the Loader.

Thank you in advance,

2. Merzhin

Merzhin MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2009
    EasyBCD is your friend...
    Check google for it.

3. Nicholas440

Nicholas440 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2008
    Thank you so much for your advice and help... I really appreciate it... I'll get Easy bcd and follow your instructions. Who knows if my programs run in Win 7 I just might put them all in it and get rid of the Vista... lol... Being that I have a Dell laptop thats been discontinued, and they arent updating any Bios or anything I thought I'd just grab the loader and use that because shortly Im going to buy a new laptop and it sure as heck isnt going to be another Dell I can say that.... This Dell cost me over $1,000 and its nothing but a big headache, anything I want to mod, on here or add, I cant do it because of the Dell proprietory system.

But thank you all so much I'm going to give it a whirl and see how it goes.. I got the Win 7 from the repository, and I think there is an SP 1 already for it I dont know but for now I'll just put in what I have and hope for the best..

If I have a problem I'll be back !!.... thanks to Deb and you others for your help....:worthy::biggrin::worthy:

4. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    And please use loader in the "Preserve Current Boot Code" option selected, for non double SLIC injection on both OS ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...