Dual Boot Vista DELL OEM and 7 OEM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lawk, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Lawk

Lawk MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2009
    #1 Lawk, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    Hi,

So I have a vista 32bit install, I installed it shortly after vista was released, can't remember the release name however it seems to be using DELL OEM...."NoPE" edition....
    Just before windows boots I can see "Grub boot loader" and "vista loader 2." or something like that it only flashes for a split second....Never had any issues with this release, always activated, went from SP1 to SP2 no problems....

I have now created a new partition where I want to Install Windows 7 OEM, the "BIE" release if that rings a bell....

However: I fear that the creation of the dualboot will somehow corrupt my Vista install and I could end up with neither 7 or Vista activated?

If so is there any way to repair vista afterwards? ( I found the Re-activator tool on this site, will that do the trick for the NoPE rls?)

2. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #2 HotCarl, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    You are asking for trouble using all these preactivated versions... You are better off to install the untouched versions, then activate them each separately with an act*vator. Daz's loader is a good one to use that activates both Vista and 7.

Daz's loader: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/8632

3. Lawk

Lawk MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2009
    I want to keep the data on the vista partition :(

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    So copy it to external USB?

sebus

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Or make another partition for data:)

6. oneextraid

oneextraid MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I have successfully installed a dual boot with Vista Ultimate and W7 Ultimate. Installed W7 then installed Vista. Ran Loader for Vista using Vista OEM key. Then rebooted and ran Loader using a Dell OEM key. Both are activated and able to perform Windows Updates. Used Dell SLIC 2.1 bin for both.

7. Lawk

Lawk MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2009
    Just installed W7 BIE, no problems. Vista remains activated aswell. (for now at least).