Dual Boot Vista x32 - Seven x64 Bios Confusion

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Threshold, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Threshold

Threshold MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    Hiya Guys,

Newbie from Italy here! :D

I have tried to first search the forum to get my answers and the Seven repository (kudos to all who put it together it's fantastic!).

I still have few doubts I hope you can help me with

I have an ACER ASPIRE 5920G 4 GB RAM and a legit Vista SP2.
    The bios is Phoenix 1.3813 SLIC 2.0 latest official release from Acer

The disk has 4 partitions
    1) Manufacturer o.s. back-up
    2) Vista x32 SP2 Italian language
    3) Data for Vista
    4) Seven x64 English language

I installed the following version:
    Ultimate (Retail): w w w. ex.ua/get/229368
    (MD5: f43d22e4fb07bf617d573acd8785c028, SHA-1: 326327cc2ff9f05379f5058c41be6bc5e004baa7)
    Although I had previously got off Rapids and not your direct link.
    Anyway the checksum matches yours and MS.

I have seen in your list that there are a Seven Ultimate x64 OEM and
    Ultimate N (OEM) x64 but it's impossible to download them at present.

Is any of these 2 any better than the one I have installed and to perform a bios update?
    I have read in the Seven Guide that there are no difference between Retail and Oem and that it is possible to convert Retail to OEM by simply using an OEM product key (and vice-versa).
    Yet I don't understand the difference between these 2 OEMs (Seven Ultimate x64 OEM-Ultimate N (OEM) x64).
    The N anyway is still impossible to activate correct?

So now I have a dual boot Vista-Seven with the latter in it's 30 days of trial period.
    I would prefer to flash the bios to forget about activation and since from the comments it seems it's considered the best method.

I have previously flashed bios for my laptop but I am now unsure on how to proceed.
    Was I supposed to flash the modded bios before istalling Seven and if so should I than remove it and install the bios or can i flash it with both os installed?

Also I am a bit lost at what bios to download (I found at least 2 for my laptop model) and if 2.0 or 2.1 and mostly how to flash it.
    When I flashed the Acer's bios there was a software that helped me do it.
    Shall I download that to flash the modded bios?

Many thanks for whomever can help :)

2. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
  3. Threshold

Threshold MDL Novice

Nov 20, 2009
    #3 Threshold, Nov 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
    (OP)
    All clear, many thanks.
    I think my version should be fine.

Don't care much about custom logos for now but thanks for the link, might explore it later on :)

Why would this be important?
    Is it "system won't work correctly" important or "it won't look nice" important?

No both Dump Toolkit and Everest report my bios as 2.0

I think I found a good modded bios (waiting for pm replies) but I am still stuck at how to flash it.

The package from Buzykid includes the Swinflash utility to flash from the o.s. but since everyone suggests to flash from dos I am stuck cause I don't have a free usb stick to do that (I have one but I use it to run Acronis True Image in case of emergency).

Is it possible to create a bootable dvd with Phlash 16?
    If so how to do it and what should I place on the dvd?

Been looking all over the net but can't find something clear on how to do that.

(I don't know if it can help me at all for the task but I have a Knoppix live cd)

I would also like a second opinion on the having to flash the bios before installing Seven considering I have a dual boot with Vista.

I only have this laptop and can't loose it :)

You have been a great help, thanks very much! :)