? Dual Boot, Win 8.1, same OS, same computer, same product key ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lobo11, Mar 24, 2014.

1. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I don't believe your supposed to be able to do this, but I did. I tried before installing all the Win 8.1 updates bringing it up to 17031and it would not, but on a wim I tried again after installing all the 8.1 updates and it worked, cool now I have a fresh install of Win 8.1 in case Microshaft pulls a sneaky
    on patch day. I don't trust system restore, Have used Acronis True Image for years and never had a problem, have a backup of partition but so many days have passed since then, well that's the main reason for installing 8.1 again, just in case.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Could you please use normal size of Font's? Many users like myself didn't having magnifier eye's!!:biggrin:

Normally there wouldn't be a problem to use the same version of Windows twice and maybe more on the exact same hardware! If there would be different hardware in use, that would force problems!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Not with same product key, used to be able too, but not now, same OS, same Key, same computer.

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Depends on how MS identifies machines/installs. I used to think that if the HW hash is the same then it won't cause problems. But maybe MS also checks on the install specific id?

5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    This is a retail copy of 8.1, retail key, I think somehow all that 8.1 update stuff I installed had something to do with it as it would not work before I installed them, and did after.

6. eydee

eydee Guest

Just phone activate and it should be fine.

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    It is activated with same key, that's what thread is about

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Doesn't matter, installation id will be different when you install 2nd os on different partition.
    Phone activation doesn't care about your hardware or install id, it just makes sure the key hasn't been activated too often.

slui 4

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Someone's missing something, I have the same OS Widows 8.1, from same DVD ROM, same key, same computer, 2 times, different partitions, that's my dual boot. The only thing different is on one Win 8.1, it has the spring update, the other Win 8.1, same DVD ROM does not, same product key, everywhere I've looked says the Retail Key can only be used once, not 2 times like I have.:confused:

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Oh I feel like a fool, now I see, sorry.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    After sudden installation count within some time frame of 6 or even 12 month, you'll have to use the phone activation. There isn't an limit how often you could activate using the same P-Key! Even if used different hardware, activation could still be done! It's maybe just about how to talk to the MS-Staff, if that's needed and depend on your own explanation!!:D