Dual boot Win10 and Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mondeo2001, Aug 25, 2015.

1. mondeo2001

mondeo2001 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2014
    Daz Loader always worked for me on this pc and it activated no problem on Win 7,in fact I upgraded it to win 10, and once the win 10 was activated by Microsoft I then did a clean install with no problems at all,runs great and activated again no problems.

So I decided I would put Win 7 back on my pc Dual Booted with Win 10,after win 7 was installed, I thought ye use Dazs loader and hey presto its activated, i was wrong!. After running the loader when I restarted my computer all I got was a blank screen,and a flashing curser,thank god I had made a image of my win 10 before I had used win 7 .

Question is ....What went wrong??,really appreciate any help and thanks in advance

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    You've got the classic black boot screen, correct?

Normally you'd boot to Windows 10, open up command prompt as an administrator and enter this:
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    You'd then reboot to Windows 7 and install the loader again. You may need to change one of the loaders memory settings though. It'll depend on what version of the loader you originally used. In general disabling access to type 4 memory or using the legacy memory area will correct most issues :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mondeo2001

mondeo2001 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2014
    Thanks for the Reply Daz.Thing is I only had problems when I installed the loader on win 7,when I restarted I got the black screen and neither operating systems would boot,was working fine in dual boot till I tried to activate the Win 7

4. mondeo2001

mondeo2001 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2014
    Meant to say Daz,i did notice a option on your loader which said "Preserve boot code" or something,was wondering ad that got anything to do with it ?

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    That can happen due to the SLIC placement. In the read me file that comes with the loader there's a command that'll tell you how to easily get Windows booting again.

You could even install the loader with the option to display the debug menu. If there's any issues then you can just select the "No SLIC" entry.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mondeo2001

mondeo2001 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2014
    Thanks Daz,it was version 2.2.2 loader I used, I will have a look at the read me for it

7. mondeo2001

mondeo2001 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2014
    Cheers Daz,disabling type 4 memory did the trick,just having a bit of a fight with Windows Update,:g:god!!,your never bored with computers.

Thanks again :D