dual boot win7 64bit with XP Pro on new dell machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by atomicrabbit, Oct 10, 2011.

1. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    I have a new Dell machine that came shipped with Win7 64bit and I need to dual boot it with XP Pro (either 32 or 64 bit, not sure yet, but it's dependent on some software that I need to run -- will find out soon). I have 2 questions:

1) Do I need an OEM XP disc since its a dell machine? I was looking at this link (forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/17638-XP-Loader) on how to activate XP, and one guy said "alter the DMI string in the bios" and another said something about "OEM SLP". I'm fairly knowledgeable with computers, but I've never used that kind of activation before and some of these terms are new to me. Can someone point me in the right direction? Any suggestions/tutorials?

2) If I alter the bios to activate OEM XP, will it affect the activation in the Win7 partition?

TIA

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    Doing a clean install of XP, then reinstalling win7 is not an option as I already have Win7 set up with all the applications as I want it and I don't want to spend time to do it all over again.

Why would I need to use a loader for the win7 installation if it is a legit installation?

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    The loader is simply being used in order to insert a key and cert. You could do this via command line if you have the skills. You could also make a backup of your cert and key that is already on your machine using OEM Dump Tool. Then restore them post install.

Either way I'm pretty sure your going to have to install XP to C:/ and W7 to D:/ . Which means a clean install

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    Could I clone the win7 partition, then do a clean install of xp, and then restore the win7 partition to the D drive?

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I've not done it personally but it sounds feasible, although I imagine you would need to create a boot entry with say "Easy BCD".

7. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i don't think even if you make a so-called "OEM" XP disc it is going to be genuine and activated, but i could be wrong.

it is my understanding that you don't have the same string in the bios like oem XP machines did since your new machine come with windows 7, so it will not work

8. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    #8 atomicrabbit, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
    (OP)
    Would I need to backup the key/cert or will they be backed up when I clone the partition?

Also, what's the problem with installing XP now without deleting the Win7 partition first?

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  10. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    #10 atomicrabbit, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Isn't the whole point of running the OEMBIOS TOOL?

When I boot off the OEMBIOS TOOL boot cd, it gives me the option to check for Windows XP or Windows 2003. When I select Windows XP, it gives me 2 SLP strings (? not sure if thats what they are). This was the output:
    Code:
    Windows XP OEMBIOS Test v1.1/352/113
    F: Dell System OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=63875D1F
    F: Dell System OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=B6F0EEFD
    The above OEMBIOS set(s) should preactivate Windows XP on this system.
    Lines starting with E: are not reliably detected when running under Windows
    Does this not mean that if I use the tutorial alextheg posted and make an OEM XP CD with the Dell B6F0EEFD Bios files in the tutorial link, that it would activate fine?

That being said, I thought about running VMWare, but the reason I need to install XP is because the computer is connected to a CNC machine and the USB adapter that connects to the CNC machine has problems with the Windows 7 drivers, and I wasn't sure if connecting through a virtual machine would cause other unforeseen issues.

I guess it would be easier to test the virtual machine first and then if that doesnt work, try the dual-boot.

11. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #11 stayboogy, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    well then it should activate just fine if you follow the tutorial on how to make the oem xp disc. sorry, it was my assumption that it wouldn't work the same, so my apologies. i didn't realize these same crc values would be in a machine that never came with xp in the first place--i learned something new today. again my apologies, just download the correct compressed omebios files for that crc then and follow all other instructions and you should be golden.

as far as you running on CNC i have no idea what that is, but i wouldn't think that it would cause more problems but then again i really don't know. you could always test the vm first and see if it accomplishes what you need, that way you don't have to go through all the necessary steps of a lengthy dual boot setup process.

12. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    #12 atomicrabbit, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
    (OP)
    If I go the Vmware route, will the OEM disc I make be sufficient to fully activate or will I still need to do the bios mod for vmware?

btw, a CNC machine is router or basically a large machine with a drillbit attached to it that cuts various materials like wood, metal or in my case, plastic, based on instructions/paths sent to it from a computer.

CNC-Machine-RC1530.jpg

13. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #13 stayboogy, Oct 11, 2011
    oh, yeah, now i know what you are talking about. i was thinking of some pc peripheral and i didn't know of any referred to as cnc lol. i don't see why it wouldn't work in the vm seeing as it will load usb devices just like if they are plugged in in windows xp, you just disconnect it from the host and it'll connect to the vm.

if you make an OEM XP disc you will need to bios mod it with the tool i linked to with whatever bios matches the files you placed on the disc. this will activate it just fine. or you can just use whatever you already have (not make a new one) and use antiwpa in the vm. but an oem disc won't work correctly without the vm's bios modded. that tool is a very simple thing to use.

14. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    Perfect ! Thanks!

One more question. Yknow how the OEMBIOS tool gave me two BIOS strings? Do I have to get the OEMBIOS files for both of those CRCs? or is just one ok? The Dell (OEMBIOS.CAT CRC32=B6F0EEFD) was listed on forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/9795-The-Windows-XP-OEMBIOS-Archive, but the first one, 63875D1F, was not listed. Are the B6F0EEFD files all I need?

15. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #15 stayboogy, Oct 11, 2011
    either one of them should be just fine. if you can only find one set, get those--and it only takes one set as they both can't be added to the disc at the same time. the mediafire link may still be down for those, i'm not sure. try to download the B6F0EEFD and see. if you can't download them let me know and i'll post you a link to get those same ones because i have them for my laptop.

and click thanks under my post if i've helped if you don't mind, you don't have to but i'd appreciate it. :cool:

16. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    whats the diff between using a XP VL disk and XP Retail disc to make the OEM disc? Is the output the same?

17. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    the output is the same but you have a different process for each version. in the "temp" folder that you downloaded from the tutorial post there should be two sets of folders in there, one is "VLK to OEM" and the other is "Retail to OEM"

if you have a retail version you are converting you take the files from the "Retail to OEM" folder and put them in the i386 folder of your extracted image and "copy and replace". if you have a Volume license version you are converting you put the files from the "VLK to OEM" in the i386 folder of your extracted image and "copy and replace".

i would also suggest to you that you edit the winnt.sif in to your liking as well and make sure you put the correct OEM key in it than the one that is already there. you can edit it in notepad. check your pm.

18. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    Thanks stayboogy! Much appreciated. One last question. I'm looking for an untouched ISO for XP Pro x64 -- is there an iso with SP3 from MS? All I found was one with no service packs and a VL iso with SP2. Just curious.

19. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  20. atomicrabbit

atomicrabbit MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2008
    You're right about using 32bit in VMWare, but I would have to disagree with you about 32bit for dual booting (in my case at least). If I was going to dual boot, I would probably use the 64bit because the machine has 8gb of ram and it would be a huge waste to NOT use it. I use a lot of 3D and CAD apps which can be processor intensive and would greatly benefit from a 64bit OS with full use of ram.

That being said, I would ONLY use them in XP if I was dual booting. Since I'm going to try VMWare, I'm only going to load the application that communicates with the CNC in XP, so you're right, I don't need 64bit for that.