Dual Boot Win7 and XP....now "ntldr is missing"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by brent_th, May 16, 2010.

1. brent_th

brent_th MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    Hi, I first installed XP at C Drive. Then I installed Win7 at F drive. I uesd EasyBCD to manage the boot files and it worked fine. I also used Acronis to clone both the C and F drives as backup.

Everything's fine until I brought a new hard disk. I decided to use Acronis backup files to clone both OS to the new HD. As 95% of the time I use Win7 now so I decided to clone Win7 backup to the C partition in the new drive.

Then "ntldr is missing" starts appearing no matter what.

I tried "clone win7 only" or "clone WinXP only" or "clone both W7 and WinXP at the same time" or "clone Win7 back to F drive and Winxp back to C drive" or "fresh reinstall new Win7 in F drive then clone Acronis WinXP backup to C drive" or many thing else, the end result is always "ntldr is missing" .

I am sure both of my Acronis backup files are fine because I periodically recover the OS with the old HD. It seems the drive letters are messed but I dont know how to clean that up. By the way I tried to use "win7 installation disk" to repair the start up, still "ntldr is missing".

Anyone can help? Thanks in advance and please excuse my english (not mother tongue)!

2. brent_th

brent_th MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks very much, jpl327. I will try your suggestions later. :worthy:

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Ntloader is on the XP partition which is no longer the boot partition because of the way you originally setup your harddisk and then restored the partition in a different order.

Acronis or other backup/restore programs do not simply perform file copy operations but rather create an image of the whole disk "byte for byte" so to speak and so file attributes like hidden etc have nothing to do with it.

When you installed 7 to your XP system 7 put its boot code in the mbr of the XP partition - Windows always puts its boot code to the first primary partition on the first drive in your system.

When you restored them and put 7's partition as the first primary partition on the disk this image did not include :-

1. ntloader as Windows has not used ntloader since XP.
    2. the boot code from the original XP partition which included the necessary references to boot XP - it was never on the 7 partition you cloned.

EasyBCD is probably able to resolve this for you or simply putting the cloned XP partition as the first partition on the first drive will reslove it also.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. brent_th

brent_th MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    thanks Rosco for your reply!

"EasyBCD is probably able to resolve this for you or simply putting the cloned XP partition as the first partition on the first drive will reslove it also. "

I did try to "clone XP partition as the first partition on the first drive" with no luck. I even tried clean installed Win7 and then cloned the XP then installed EasyBCD hoping it will correct the boot problem. But once reboot, "ntldr is missing" appeared again.

I doubt I have the computer knowledge to fix it. I suspect clean install is the only way to go for me.

5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    "I suspect clean install is the only way to go for me."

This is fine for a fresh install with little or no installed programs - remember to instal XP first, 7 second. for the easiest result.

If you want 7 to be first on your disk you can install it then XP and then use the 7 DVD to fix the mess XP makes of the boot code - only because it has no knowledge of 7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. brent_th

brent_th MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks Rosco again for the reminder, I really appreciate it. :worthy: