dual boot win7/win8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dumble, Sep 14, 2011.

1. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Hello,

I would like to try the developers build of win 8 that was just released. And install it at as a dual boot.

I got 1 Harddisk. 2 partitions:
    > C: Windows7 x86
    > D: DATA

I am able to shrink the data partition, so there will be space left for win8 (I think 15GB will be enough)

__

I am downloading the win8 iso right now. Can I just boot from media and install it on the 15GB space?? Will windows 8 recognize my win7 and install automatically a bootloader? Can anyone post there experiences?

2. Yanze

Yanze MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2011
    I have a dual boot with 7 & 8 also and yes, of course that works ;)

I have W8 on a 40GB partition installed with Office 2010 and then it occupies 17GB, so maybe your 15GB is too small.

From within W7 create a partition of 20GB, extract the .iso you're downloading to a USB stick and boot from the stick. Select the advanced setup option and install W8 on the 20GB partition you've just created.

After W8 is installed and up and running you'll have to rebuild you bcd though, the W7 entry is missing. I don't remember the exact steps but I did something like this:

bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Windows 7" (this command copies the W8 entry to a new one named W7)
    bcdedit /set {guid-of-W7-entry} device partition=F: (or whatever driveletter your W7 installation has)
    bcdedit /set {guid-of-W7-entry} osdevice partition=F: (or whatever driveletter your W7 installation has)

If you let the default boot OS to be W8 you'll see the new bootloader and you can choose between W7 and W8 from there.
    If you let the default boot OS to be W7 you won't see W8 anymore and you have to change it back to be the default one.

This is in a nutshell how I did it, good luck with the setup and don't hesitate to ask anything you'll encounter :)

3. dumble

dumble MDL Member

Jan 17, 2009
    #3 dumble, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks for your replies

@Yanze,
    So if im not mistaken, when I install win8, win7 will be removed from boot menu. In order to get 7 back I have to run the commands you gave while Im logged into win8 right? Because I couldent boot in win7 anymore if I dont fix the bootmenu... Is this correct? ( ps. win7 is installed on C:/.. So in the command I change it to C:/ right?)

@ acrsn, does easybcd run in win8? Does easybcd do the same as the commands yanze gave?

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Did you read hes Post? he can't boot into W7 to begin with :p

As for me, W8 removed the old bootloader inclusive the BCD settings completly, it didnt adapt any entrys :eek:
    EasyBCD needs 3.5 Framework but this one is kind of locked per default on the WDP

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    First win8 defaults and you get an "os chooser" after windows booted. When selecting windows 7 it reboots into 7.
    If you change the bcd settings in 7 (msconfig) and set 7 the default you get 2 entries, 7 and 8. So Yanze I don't know why you have only 7 when using the cmd commands, cause it should do the same as through msconfig.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SmirgeliS

SmirgeliS MDL Junior Member

Aug 20, 2010
    I shrinked my C partition and maked new 40gb partition called Windows 8, then via bootable USB i installed Win8 and now i have 2 OS'es... :)

7. otherside

otherside MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2011
    hey guys, I have installed win8 on partition where used to be win7. The partition with XP remained untouched but I don't have dual boot option anymore I can only choose win8 even on msconfig is only this new win, can you please help me out?

8. Aly

Aly MDL Member

Feb 27, 2008
    I unplugged all my HD's except my SSD.
    Installed Win8 x64. Disabled hybrid boot.
    Re plugged HD's.
    Booted to Win7 x64
    Used EasyBCD to add Win8 to the bootloader.
    And Win8 boots from the Win7 bootloader menu.

9. 3ricky114

3ricky114 MDL Senior Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Just Use EasyBCD 2.1 or 2.2

10. vajlent

vajlent MDL Junior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I got the same problem here! Can't boot into 7:en anymore!?!
    Before: Windows 7 at C: as usual...
    Booting up Win8 Windows 7 is at D:

What can I do to fix this?

11. 3ricky114

3ricky114 MDL Senior Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Like I just said: Use EasyBCD 2.1 or 2.2

12. weezul

weezul MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    hmm... seems to be something up for me. Here is my boot oder, Disk 1 is what i'm working with: boiot.jpg

i tried booting from the DVD, and installing to W: . It all went fine apart from after the first restart there was nothing new, it went straight back to my usual two Windows7 choices (the C and D drives). I used BCDEdit to put an entry in for W: but it gives me an error to do with security certificates. Is there something I am missing here?
    thanks for your help guys

13. vajlent

Sep 14, 2009
    Well that answer doesn't help me very much, what should I do in EasyBCD?
    I can only boot into Windows 8!

14. vajlent

Sep 14, 2009
    I have a Windows 7 DVD or image(iso) file and which I have burned to a bootable disk but it doesn't help, it can't repair it says!?! :(

15. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    as said before, i'm the only one can boot in both OS(7 and 8) without problems and other programs or Cmd commands to change bootloader?

Yup, in rarely case is buggy but it works.....:D

16. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    Go to your system setup, set DVD/USB as first boot device, put your previous OS DVD/USB in, then repair your previous OS.

17. weezul

weezul MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    no, unfortunately after the first time it restarted I never saw it again... I'm going to try again, but first will delete the partition, no need for such a different letter name seeing as it holds no data now. So i will make it unused space and thne let the windows installer create from scratch, see if that works. cheers

18. weezul

weezul MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    did the same thing. on restart I see it made a new drive, G: with the same files on it as last time. FML :( Don't really have the time to wipe the drive , do the two Win7s again and then the Win8. I use my computer for my income. Balls. If anyone has any more suggestions feel free to throw them around the room :) cheers