Dual Boot Win7 & XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by regal, Mar 14, 2011.

1. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have a new H67 Sandybridge computer I put together. I installed Win7x64 as my main operating system.

On another harddrive I used Win7 disc manager to partition a 750GB harddrive. I made one partition 20GB with plans to install XP for dual booting, the other partition would be used for storage.

WinXP won't install on the hard drive. I set bios to boot from the DVD with second boot device being the 750GB harddrive (the bios doesn't see partitions, just entire harddrives.)

The WinXP will load files, etc, then when it gets to starting windows gives a blue screen saying I have a virus on my harddrive or it is corrupt, run chdsk.

I tried partitioning the harddrive with parted magic boot cd but then Win7 doesn't recognize it.

Any idead how to make this work?

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Partition the harddrive again with windows as NTFS, then add the drivers for your SATA to the XP install. Likely the XP doesnt see the partition. The BIOS cannot be expected to see the partition, only hardware. 3rd party is gonna give you grief, I have had luck with Gparted though....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Yea I need to "slip stream" the latest RST drivers into the XP iso cause this new computer doesn't have a damn floppy port. Or figure out a way to use a flash drive at the F6 promt. Either way I am of to do some research, thanks for heading me in the right direction.

4. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I slipstreamed the latest Intel RST drivers, and got a little further into the installation but then the same screen. Then I tried slipstreaming the Intel RST drivers that were included with the MB, seemed to install but on initial bootup it failed with the same screen.

Sucks being a new adopter:)

5. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    Here's a complete guide.

h t t p colon slash slash w w w and then ...
    sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html