Dual boot Windows 7 and Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by yogibear7, Sep 16, 2009.

1. yogibear7

yogibear7 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    I've never really done too much work with the Mac OS before, though I thought it might be worth a shot. The thing is that I don't want to go out and buy a mac. I've heard that the Mac OS can be installed on a PC without problems, and I was wondering how you would go about dual booting with windows 7 and snow leopard. The thing is, I already have windows 7 installed an activated, and I don't want to start all over with windows 7. So I was wondering how snow leopard can be installed AFTER already having windows 7 installed.

Thanks!

2. Magazatti

Magazatti MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    Install Snow Leopoard seperatly on a second HDD.
    Be sure that the HDD (Windows) is not plugged in before you start the installation.:D
    Now you can choose the HDD after the POST Screen by Pressing (e.g.) F12.
    Or install an alternative Bootmanager.

An alternative Bootmanager is necessary if you don't have a second HDD.
    Try to hide the (Windows)partiton and install OSX. After the installation unhide the partition and install an other alternative Bootmanager (Grub, SuperGrub etc..)
    I've never tested it. But it should work. (=

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I can vouch for Magazatti's suggestion. I did precisely that to install Leopard, Snow Leopard should be no different.

I just disconnected my Windows drive, and put another drive in on a different SATA port. Once I had Leopard running, I put the Windows drive back online and I can press F8 at bootup to select which physical drive to boot from.

One (annoying or useful depending on your attitude) thing I noticed. Leopard insists on mounting all my Windows partitions and showing them as icons on the desktop. Probably useful for something, I just normally select them all and choose "Eject" to avoid breaking anything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Why would you disconnect Win drive during install? Pointless

Just partition & install on the emty drive / space (not that hard to remember?)
    And in this case you are going to have the nice Chameleon bootloader

You can also do the same on separate partition (does not have to be separate drive)

NTFS drives are mounted by default as read only, so you can NOT damage anything , but you DO have access to your Windows data (very handy at times)

sebus

5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Watch out for Snow Leopard, its causing a compatiblity problems with both Mac's and Hackintosh's. You'd be better off sticking to Leopard for now. ;)

As Sebus has said theres no need to install OSX on another HDD, I've installed it plenty of times on PC's and NetBooks using 3 Partitions 1x OSX, 1x Windows7/Vista/XP and 1x FAT32 as a 'Data Share'
    Because of the 'Ready Only' mount that OSX does with NTFS drives.

Which ever route you go, HDD or Partition. Install Windows first, then when OSX is installed it will see the Windows install and add it to its Boot Loader.
    This is far, far easier than editing either the Windows or OSX Boot Loaders by hand after install.

Good luck. :)

6. mattrb

mattrb MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    If you want to dualboot Win7/Snow you can either:

1. Boot windows first, use EasyBcd to add mac to the windows startup.

2.Have mac os boot first. You need Chameleon rc2 (rc3 is out too) and you need Win7 64bit.

Note: Chameleon Bootloader is not compatible with Windows 7 32 bit edition.
    Only 64 bit.

7. yogibear7

yogibear7 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    Here is the ultimate question. Is my Dell XPS 400 compadible with Snow Leopard?

Specs:

Motherboard
    CPU Type:Intel Pentium 4 540, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
    Motherboard Name:Dell XPS 400 / Dimension 9150 (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset:Intel Lakeport i945P
    System Memory:1024 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM) (I will be upgrading to 3 gigs soon)
    BIOS Type:Phoenix (10/28/05)

Display
    Video Adapter:Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) (32 MB)

Please let me know. Thanks!

8. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    The short answer NO. :(

Long answer:
    You should be able to use one of the modified install disks to get a basic install on a P4, but you'll then have to find and install 3rd party drivers for your Audio, LAN, and GFX.

Chances are it still won't be that stable, but it would be good enough to get a good feel for OSX. :)

9. 04r1blueflyin

04r1blueflyin MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    hey i am in a similar situation i have been trying to dual boot windows 7 and snow leopard, heres my specs:
    graphics- nvidia geforce 9600 GSO
    motherboard-ECS g31t-m
    4gb ram
    1 terabyte maxtor hdd with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
    1 terabyte seagate hdd totally blank formatted in ntfs
    sound - microsoft hd audio
    processor- intel core 2 quad q8200 @ 2.33 x4
    network- realtek rtl8101e family pci e fast ethernet nic (ndis 6.20)
    cd/dvd drives-HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20LS10 ata device + pioneer dvd rw dvr 105 ata device
    --------
    i downloaded snowleopard off tpb and burned it to a dual layer but i have been having difficulties reading it, i put it in my bros macbook pro and it reads fine but when trying to upgrade to snowleopard it gets a error saying restart using disk utility or something, looking for a better install file or something please help thanks

10. 04r1blueflyin

04r1blueflyin MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    bump plz help me im struggling

11. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #12 derausgewanderte, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  12. PsyChoses

PsyChoses MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2009
    #13 PsyChoses, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. Morriswald

Morriswald MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    Installing snow leopard using "Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.0 Patched for PC"

Hi

I am concidering a installation of Snow Leopard on my pc.

I find it very hard to find any decent information about if there are any
    idea, even trying to install it on my computer spec.

my computer spec:

Zalman ZM750 HP Power Supply 750W
    ASUS P7P55D PRO, Intel P55 Express, 4DDR3 / 2PCI / 2PCIe x1 / 3PCIe x16 / 7SATA / 1IDE / 1eSATA, FireWire / 8USB / GBLAN / HD-Audio, ATX, LGA1156
    Intel CPU Intel Quad Core i7 860 (2.8GHz) Socket-1156 1333MHz 8MB Cache 64bit 95W Lynnfield B1 Boxed
    DDR3: 1 x Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL8
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
    Asus Geforce ENGTX275

I would really appreciate any help, I found some mods like camelon for making the installation easier... But I am not sure about my hardware.

What happens if I manage to lauch OSX , I am thinking about all drivers needed for example the gpu? How is it possible to make the videocard work properly when no-one have made any drivers for example the gtx275?

Could an installation damage any hardware?

Thanks!