Dual Boot - XP and 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cplmckenzie, Feb 4, 2010.

1. cplmckenzie

cplmckenzie MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    Hey again,

I posted this question about this problem about a month ago and the solutions worked great on a new Acer laptop that I have.

Now I tried to do the same thing with the solutions from you guys as before and the Win 7 wipes out both boot sectors - XPs and it never reboots to complete its own "Finalizing Installation" phase.

I have tried to install 7 by itself still it wonn't complete its install phase.

I am thinking that the bios is stopping it, as the laptop is about 10 yrs old with a Phoenix Technology bios.

Currentyly the state of the machine is a working XP install and all except the final install phase of 7. Meaning all the files have been written to the drive.

btw. the hard drive it self is one physical drive, partitioned in to a primary (c:) and logical (d:) drives.

My question is there some type of a boot loader or utility that I can use for Win 7 to recognize its partial install and complete the "Final install" phase.

regards,

cplmckenzie

2. gp2k8

gp2k8 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2010
    the bios shouldn't stop it unless you've got a virus or boot sector protection switched on. You could try to use something like Acronis OS Selector that allows you to choose OS to boot; I am not sure which version works with W7 though.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    For sometime back, I wanted to use dual booting to test out some softwares. Finally found a solution that largely eliminates this need, is much quicker, and more stable-virtualisation with VMware workstation 7. Plus I can use both systems at the same time just like I can switch between excel and google chrome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Senior Member

May 5, 2010
    #4 Nimbus2000, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    I have had very good luck using the Gag boot manager:

http :// gag . sourceforge . net /

(mangled url due to post count restrictions)

I have Windows 7, Windows XP, and Linux installed and it is easy to select which OS I want at boot time. Be sure to select the option to hide other primary partitions in the Gag configuration screen.

5. morty1627

morty1627 MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2011
    Excellent explanation.

6. Warrior165

Warrior165 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2011
    That sounds like the proper way of doing it! can you re-image either Win 7 installation using that method? that would be handy, cheers

7. Warrior165

Warrior165 MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2011
    Another interesting option there jabberwocky, will look into that

8. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    yes you can re-image any os ,and copy overwrite or backup to or from any partition as long as its big enough ,HyperOS remaps it all and boot is updated to allow .

9. Scipion

Scipion MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2010
    #10 Scipion, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
    My config: WinXP and Win7 on dual boot, each one using its one HDD.
    What is the easiest way to get ride of WinXP without loosing my boot?
    I use DAZ loader.

10. Scipion

Scipion MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2010
    #11 Scipion, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
    Thanks for answering

a) Win7 was installed years after WinXP, the default boot being Win7.
    b) There are three partitions on the second drive, one main NTFS, two logical Fat32.
    c) No Acronis image, but I can burn one if necessairy.

As a matter of fact my main concern is Daz loader.