dual-booting: use loader or RemoveWAT/ChewWGA

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jodansmif, Dec 24, 2009.

1. jodansmif

jodansmif MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    I have an existing XP install I'd like to keep. I plan on installing Ubuntu 9.10 and Windows 7. I know that I should install Ubuntu last so that 7 won't overwrite GRUB, right?

My question is - will the Windows 7 loader interfere with the Ubuntu GRUB loader or can I configure them both to work together nicely?

Also, if anyone has a guide or reference for this type of setup (especially how to recover the XP install if something goes wrong!), I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    If you use a loader it must run to "activate" Windows 7. If you have existing partitions on your harddrive Windows 7 will probably not create the System partition where it installs the boot files.

I'm not sure about whether Ubuntu's loader calls the Loader which "activates" Windows 7 or the native Windows 7 boot loader as I can't install Linux on my computer.

If Windows 7 uses the system partition this may not be recognized by Ubuntu and 7 may fail to boot.

After all this ranting I can't help but I suspect the best way to install Ubuntu is to a separate hard disk and choose the boot order in the BIOS. Xp is not really a problem as 7 will include it in the Windows boot manager.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Actually, What your asking is very easy to do.
    Make another Partition & install Win 7 on it. Use your Loader if you wish.
    Install Ubuntu & choose Side by Side installation in grub. Use the slider on grub menu to increase your Ubuntu partition size. Finish your Ubuntu installation.
    On Boot screen..............You will have (2) Options, Ubuntu will be set as default boot option, Vista Loader will be your Windows option.
    After choosing your Vista Loader Option, The next page will be a option to choose to boot Windows XP or Windows 7.
    Make your choice.
    Hope this helps. :D:rolleyes::eek:

4. jodansmif

jodansmif MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2009
    dakota -

That's what I thought from reading at other places. Since I've got a good backup, I'll just try it. Worst that happens is I end up reinstalling XP.

Thanks.