Dual Booting win 8 and Ubuntu??? I want to boot windows first..

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by slyfox30, Jan 27, 2013.

1. slyfox30

slyfox30 MDL Member

Mar 8, 2012
    #1 slyfox30, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    I don't know if this belongs in another forum or not? But this is my problem,I bought a prebuilt computer that's really fast for a client and I couldn't build it cheaper.It came with windows 8 pre installed on it,,So after setting win8 the way I've learned from here and experience with windows,I needed to split the hard drive and install Ubuntu on the other partition..On the Linux side, another guy logged on remotely programmed Asterisk and a 8 port asterisk card..It didn't work when he was done.I think i could have learned how too and it would work but I'm not a Linux guy and he was just lazy about typing -sudo but I don't want to mess his work up on that partition. I set up everything and opened /ROOT then he took over remotely.
    Now on my side I'm running a fax broadcasting server and having a few problems since the fax modems were installed and configured."driver update problem".I do a lot of the work on it from home as the computer is in the office.I use team-viewer and its a great program for logging on remotely.
    Now to my main problem.When the computer boots,The boot-loader is from the Linux side,"grub or grub 2" and always boots into Ubuntu first.I need to somehow get it to boot windows 8 first as default boot order.When I remotely reboot to fix problems that can only be done with a reboot It will boot Ubuntu and that stops me from getting it to remote boot back up to windows.
    I've been googling how to do it but cant find the way to do it as the many search results say you can do it a hundred different wayso_O only to be told in the forums that< that way wont work..So no straight answers how to do it. I'm hoping someone has done it or knows how..I would think it would have to be done from the windows side but cant get to the 2 strings and just switch the boot order,Worked will in windows 7.But since the boot-loader is from Ubuntu I don't know how...
    Sorry for such a long post but wanted to tell the dilema im dealing with..Thanks For Reading....:eek:

2. ljimbo

ljimbo MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2010
    #2 ljimbo, Jan 27, 2013
    Without loading up my unbuntu i can only take a quick guess at how i did it.. but there was a program called Boot Repair.. i had issues with the UEFI loader and getting windows and unbuntu to like being on seperate drives .. originaly i wanted each to have their own boot loader and ill swap via F11 (bios boot options).. however that didnt work out in the end.

but yeah if i got the name of that program right it will make it really easy to select which you want to boot first and timers n stuff... otherwise there is a ini in /boot you can edit and change some numbers around.. i cant remember off hand how to do it.. ill quickly boot into unbuntu and make sure i got that program name right tho..

/edited Bootfix was the wrong name.. its Boot Repair

3. slyfox30

slyfox30 MDL Member

Mar 8, 2012
    #4 slyfox30, Jan 27, 2013
    (OP)
    Do i run boot repair in Ubuntu or windows and will it see both o/s partitions?
    Ya that would be cool to switch between which one has default boot by hitting a macro key.

4. slyfox30

slyfox30 MDL Member

Mar 8, 2012
    ya thats what I thought but all it says is windows 8.then when you go into edit it, there isnt no dual boot lines to adjust. Just 2 dump temp file strings..?:eek: