Dual booting Windows 8.1 and XP (SP3)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ronnie_1712, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ronnie_1712

ronnie_1712 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2012
    I am running W8.1 on my PC as of now, and need to install XP SP3 for video playback (videos won't play properly on 8.1 due to the lack of SiSVGA drivers for 8.1). What is the best way to dual boot XP? I don't want to lose 8.1 install.

2. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    I believe the first thing OP need to know is if he could install XP on his machine. :naughty:

3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I have so many questions, but I'll throw the first thing that pops into my head.

Why on earth are you using Windows 8.1 if your system is so bad that you have SiSVGA graphics?

Can you not run Windows 7?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Oh, I mean the HDD, the "F6 SATA" thing had brought quite of lot of pains to quite a lot of arses.

5. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    And if it's SSD without TRIM, better use win7 XP mode. LOL. :D

6. ronnie_1712

ronnie_1712 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2012
    #7 ronnie_1712, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    (OP)
    You guys are amazing! I have the ISO now, I grabbed BartPE and PowerISO5 to create an XP bootable pendrive. I'm not very tech savvy, but I have used EasyBCD earlier when I had dual-booted XP and 8 preview releases. I need your advise on how wise it is to let 8.1 remain installed on C:/, have XP on E:/, run EasyBCD in XP so it will let 8.1 boot, then run EasyBCD in 8.1 so it will add XP to 8.1's bootloader (?). I can't post a link to the tut I found because of the limitations here I managed somehow ;-) - bleepingcomputer forums/t/481659/multi-boot-windows-8-and-xp/

dot com after bleepingcomputer.

Edit: As for running 8.1 with SiSVGA, I have to say 8.1 runs better than any version of Windows I've tried on this machine. MUCH better than XP. 7 was garbage as far as my system was concerned. The only thing that sucks on 8.1 for me is video playback. Everything else is betterer, fasterer :D

7. ronnie_1712

ronnie_1712 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks for all the help so far, guys. I haven't been able to install XP even with a CD, which is a bit embarrassing.

I've changed the boot order in BIOS to CD/DVD, Removable Storage, SATA, and then, I chose to boot from CD after hitting F12. Everything works well, until the installation requires rebooting for the first time after expanding files, after which, it directly boots into 8.1.

8.1 is in C:/, and I'm trying to install on F:/ now.

8. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    LOL, guess you have a SATA driver problem, believe @Atari800XL will guide you, I forgot most of the stuffs. :D

9. eydee

eydee Guest

I'll just put another approach here, in case someone still wants to do this. It works for literally any OS, not only for 8.1.

1. Boot from a GParted Live CD.
    2. Make room for an XP partition and hide you 8.1 one.
    3. Make the XP partition and set it active (boot flag).
    4. Proceed installing XP to the freshly created partition. You'll have no issues after the first phase as your 8.1 partition is hidden.
    5. After you finished installing XP, install a boot manager into the MBR. GRUB, Boot-US, whatever you like...
    6. Use the boot manager to select the OS when you start the computer.

If you don't need one of the systems later (either one), restore the MBR and delete its partition. It won't affect the other one, as boot files and sectors are completely separated in different partitions.

To restore the MBR:

Method #1:
    1. Boot from an XP CD.
    2. Enter the recovery console.
    3. Switch to the boot drive. (e.g. "C: -> enter")
    4. Issue "fixmbr" command.
    5. Reboot. Your remaining OS will load.

Method #2:
    1. Boot using a Vista/7/6 DVD.
    2. Enter repair mode.
    3. Open a command prompt.
    4. Switch to the boot drive. (e.g. "C: -> enter")
    5. Issue "bootrec /fixmbr".
    6. Reboot. Your remaining OS will load.

10. adstark021

adstark021 MDL Novice

May 7, 2013
    yes fastboot causes alot of issues turn it off but you should ditch xp soon its really not safe anymore.

11. ronnie_1712

ronnie_1712 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2012
    Just wanted to chime back in with an update now that my internet is working again: I am not sure what exactly was causing this, but I ran a refresh of the 8.1 installation, disabled hibernation/quick start up after re-enabling it. Burned an XP CD, ran it again, and viola! Dual-boot is working ace now, so the refresh of 8.1 install sorted it. :D

Thanks again for all the amazing help, you guys were very quick in replying back. Easily the most helpful community I've come across :)