Dual booting with win 10 has a extra reboot?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by cruxq, May 3, 2016.

1. cruxq

cruxq MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    This is highly annoying, I dual boot between win 7 & win 10, and when I pick win 7, all is fine it continues to load the OS.
    However, when I pick win 10, it resets the machine, and then loads win 10.

I am trying to figure out why it resets the machine just so it can launch win 10?

Anyone know the reason behind this?

2. cactusjuice92

cactusjuice92 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2015
    I've been wondering this too. Would this have anything to do with Secure Boot or UEFI?

3. cruxq

cruxq MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    The machine I am using don't have secure boot or a UEFI BIOS... so, don't think that is the case.

For what it is worth, if I replace the MS boot loader with GRUB, then, it don't reboot, it just boots directly into win 10.

4. cactusjuice92

cactusjuice92 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2015
    Maybe because it's switching from MBR to GPT?

5. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Different boot manager gui.
    W7 has the old one & W10 has the new one that came out w/ W8.

Same thing happens to me, I have W10 as my default OS but when I choose W7 from the (new gui) boot manager the PC restarts & boots into W7 automatically & bypasses the boot manager.
    When I set W7 as the default OS then when choosing W10/W8.1 (in the old boot manager) the PC restarts, same as yours is doing & boots directly into the W10/W8.1 OS I chose.

HTH

6. laqk

laqk MDL Junior Member

Jan 22, 2011
    This is because with Windows 10, the system pre-loads several operating system files before presenting you with the choice of os menu. If you choose Windows 10 in the menu, booting continues with the remaining system files, giving the impression of a very fast boot time. But if you choose a different os, then all those preloaded files are useless, and the system has to reboot the computer to restart the booting process for the other os.

In a command window running as an administrator, type the following command:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy Legacy

Next time you boot you will be presented with the classic text mode boot menu of previous Windows versions.

7. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #7 tonto11, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    One of the reasons I uninstalled Win 10 and said goodbye.
    laqk's fix may solve the problem, but I'm not going to test it

...T

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #8 T-S, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    lark's fix SOLVES the problem.

It's the first thing one must learn since the day that Win8 released, and looks like a really minor problem to me. Blame the things that hasn't a solution, not the ones with a supersimple one

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    There are many things I do with Windows 10 after a clean install. So many that I have a portable folder which contains a cmd file that I run as administrator. This takes care of 99% of all my customizations, and even program installs. There has not been much I have NOT been able to do with Windows 10. There are many excellent coders that have solved all sorts of issues, and I take these solutions, and adapt them to what I want. I have never found a reason not to stick with Windows 10. It is all about perseverance, failure, reinstalls, and hopefully, eventual success.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Diversity opens minds. Yoma like the American food, but there isn't any reason to not taste spaghetti, lasagne or sushi.

Nowadays each OS can do mostly most of you need even Macos or Ios :)D) but dealing with different OSes makes the user flexible, wide minded.

That is, It's like traveling, learning different languages, facing different cultures

No need to switch, nor to stick to windows and/or to anything else, just try and use what's available, sometimes.

11. shtrumf

shtrumf MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks for this little trick,but can you please also post the command if i want to go back to the win10 boot menu.:D

12. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #12 MrMagic, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard
    --
    When I was dualbooting 8.1 and 10, I just switched the default OS in msconfig to the one I was about to boot into, before I rebooted, and it used that OSs bootloader, preventing the double reboot, when I wanted to go back to the other OS, I set it as default first, then rebooted

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #13 T-S, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Legacy menu is not good just to switch quickly, but also to get out of troubles using the safe mode or to disable the driver signature.

Unless you have a keyboard less device there isn't a single valid reason to keep the ugly new thing

14. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea I agree, I just hadn't bothered changing it while I was DBing, I usually set to legacy straight away for safemode reasons

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    People who find hard to remember the syntax, or scared by the command prompt, or just too lazy to do it, can use easybcd to get the same effect. Just uncheck "use metro bootloader" and save the settings.

16. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I was wondering how many posts it would take before someone mentions EasyBCD from neosmart.net.
    I use it to boot directly into VHDX drives without having to use Hyper-V.
    It's a great little application. Also iReboot is a good partner with EasyBCD, so when you want to reboot into another OS, you select it from iReboot and when your system reboots it boots into that selected OS directly.

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    I stared using VHDs even for main installations.

Too handy to not use them.

18. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    VHDs are very handy, and you do not even need a main OS to use them. You can have your disk with only VHDs. Backing up is as easy as copying a file! The only thing you can not do with a VHD is update from one Windows build to another asfaik!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. laqk

laqk MDL Junior Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I used to work only with VHDs. Main system, test systems, etc. Like other users said, way too useful not to use them. I even dual booted with Linux Mint using mint4win. But when I started triple booting with OS X I couldn't find a solution for booting OS X from a dmg, so I was forced to use at least one separate partition. Then I said to myself if forced to use partitions, might as well use them also for my other systems. :pardon:

20. broadcast23

broadcast23 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2009
    Turn of fast boot if it is enabled, this can cause problems.