Dual Booting XP SP3 / Windows 7 build 7057

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by isd503, Mar 24, 2009.

1. isd503

isd503 MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2009
    A lot of people are complaining about things that do not work correctly for them within Windows 7. Here is one thing you can do to give yourself quick access to a proven operating system (OS):

From a clean hard drive, load XP first, and then load Windows 7 last. Just like with Vista, you will see far fewer problems dual booting these OS's if you load XP first.

I have used this setup through the various Windows 7 builds and it works great. Also, I suggest you do not upgrade your OS. Always complete a fresh build from scratch. If you follow this method, you will be able to overwrite your Windows 7 partition (as new builds are released) without negatively affecting your XP partition. I have done this about seven times with no problems. Good luck!

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    an even better solution if you are not going to be playing games is to capture your XP install as a VHD, then since Windows 7 supports VHD mounting natively, you can just install virtual PC and use XP, and when there are files from the XP install you need and vise-versa you can just mount the VHD like a normal drive.