DVD burn not finalising using w7 burn disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobbypants, Mar 17, 2011.

1. bobbypants

bobbypants MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi People,

Have had this happen twice now and I think it has to be related to an update. I say this because the other day I freshly installed w7 and burned a dvd disk with no problem but now I have received all the latest updates, burns are going fine until the last 30 secs 99% and just as the disk usually ejects after finalising, it instead keeps making the noise as if the lens is moving up and down and it never ejects. A reboot is always necessary to get the disk out.

I don't have any other burning software on this acer 5920 and can't seem to find anything related on google and the only thing that has changed since it did burn properly is M$ updates. Incidently the dvd will play fine on the laptop but not in a standalone player which leads me to believe it isn't being finalised.

Any suggestions appreciated :)

TIA

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #2 urie, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    Try using a 3rd party burning program there are plenty of free ones kicking about, have you tried burning at a slower speed and maybe checkout to see if there are any firmware updates for your dvd burner. Also if You have just installed windows I suggest downloading Windows 7 SP1 Integrated dvd and reinstalling windows save you downloading all those updates again.

P.S. it could just be that your dvd writer is on it's road out.

3. bobbypants

bobbypants MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi Urie....this happened before to me a few weeks ago and was never corrected even when I tried using nero etc..the 3rd party programmes just hang at 99% the same as w7 built in disk burner. There is no firmware update either have checked that. When I first did w7 install it burned no problem but since the updates it now has the problem so it has to be an update doing it. I just wondered if anyone else had suffered a similar problem.

Thanks

4. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    could try running system restore and see if there are any restore points created before the updates were installed,and restore it back to that point, then turn off windows automatic update.another option may be- in control panel,click on programs and features.on the top left will see view installed updates.click on that.should see a list of installed updates.you can click on the ones you want to uninstall,then will see uninstall a little ways up click that.you cold try them one by one to see if one of them is causing your problem.though that could take a while.good luck.

5. bobbypants

bobbypants MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks people :)

Seems it is the drive...I uninstalled all of the updates except 2 which wouldn't delete, burned again, made another coaster. Did a fresh install of windows and before doing anything else I did another burn and again failed on finalise. So conclusion is knackered drive. Just a shame it takes so many other paths before you can mentally accept that a drive that plays and does write to an extent, could possibly be knackered. Luckily my brother has a bedroom full of acers so I can 'borrow' a drive and know for sure....

6. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Is it a SATA or IDE drive? I more than once had to take off and reconnect the cables to my Sata HDD's. This happened across several PC's. In the case of HDD's this usually results in boot problems, but I can image with a SATA burner that it won't burn right. So try also to disconnect/connect the drive (perhaps at both the drive and the mobo socket) and try burning again.

7. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    before i would accept that a drive was no longer any good(back when they werent so cheap) i would take it apart and clean the dirt out of it,and lubricate the two rods that the laser slides back and forth on.ill explain how to do it in case you want to try it.with the drive still hooked up(or just plug in the power again if you have it removed)open the tray.leave it open then unplug or remove it,if its still in.unclip the black face around the front(its only held on by plastic clips that you push on).unscrew the bottom.(should be four screws)take off the bottom plate.the rest of the drive should slide out.once you get it out,can clean all the dust out etc.will also see the rods that the laser slides back and forth on.these sometimes dry out and the laser doesnt slide back and forth.i get a q tip and put a little vaseline on them(or some kind of other clear lubricant will work)and put a little on each rod,then gently slide the laser back and forth to make sure its lubed good.you should also see a brass rod with threads on it that spins around.put a little on that also.thats it.now just have to put it back together and hook it up to se if that was the problem.not to hard to do if you have the time.then if it doesnt work.toss it.anyways.have a good one.

8. bobbypants

bobbypants MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for your suggestions :)

It's in a laptop (sata) so the disconnection and reconnection I don't think is gonna work. I will try the lubing as I'm good at that lol! It does tend to make a noise occasionally like it's being pulled over it's gear teeth so could be a lube problem. I'm gonna try a spare one today and see if that works!

Ben

9. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    yeah.its totally differeent.thats why i dont like laptos too much.the drives are too slow and i do a lot of burning.have a good one