DVD drive on WinXP SP2 see only CD can't see DVD

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by RedFire, Jul 22, 2007.

1. RedFire

RedFire MDL Novice

May 11, 2007
    I have one problem with DVD drive (On WINXP SP2), it,s can't see DVD disc inserted, instead only can see CD disc inserted?
    DVD drive is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA - 4040B
    Whether this stage is due to bad hardver (perhaps electromotor) or this is an software malfunction?
    Thank You in Advance ! (If anybody know about this)

2. sk8er

sk8er MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    What exactly do you mean by you can't see dvds?
    the first thing is to see that those dvds u tried are actually working. Verify this by playing them in some other pc.
    Is it that you cant wath dvd movies or the drive doesn't run any dvd type(software etc.) ? If it is only the movies it doesn't play then a configuration of ur media player will fix it, or u can install a new player and check. If the dvd drive doesn't work with any dvd, maybe u should temporarily attach another one (u can lent one from ur friends right?) and see if it works.

3. RedFire

RedFire MDL Novice

May 11, 2007
    Thank You for your answer. But I am already atach another USB connected DVD and its stil working with same software (nero, alcohol...). For this reason I already asked people from repair store for this dvd problem and I take answer that mostly problem with this are laser diode for reading dvd. It must be burned out.

4. moreno270

moreno270 MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2007
    I'd used have same type of problem and it can be 2 things the type of media you are using,specially (MEMOREX).Or you need to upgrade the FIRWARE for the DVD rom.:)

5. qwerty

qwerty MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2007
    this is a common problem with older dvd drives they most probably can't read the dvd format the disc is either + or - :)

6. belivakov

belivakov MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2007
    Or Windows does not recognize correctly drive - try to uninstall from Device Manager - Run devmgmt.msc, right click on DVD drive, then uninstall and restart.
    Enjoy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...