Dvd is not there anymore on a Asus x55u

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lievre, Feb 4, 2016.

1. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Since the upgrade on Windows 10, the dvd is not there anymore.

Laptop Asus x55u.

The dvd is : tsstcorp sn-208 dn

I see the dvd in the device manager in Other device. But there is no driver for it.

On the Asus site nothing for the dvd.

Try to update with an .inf file i've found on the net, no result.
    In the registry there is no upper or lower case for the dvd.

Please help me.

Thank's

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Did You run sfc /scannow and DISM ??? Sounds like a corrupted install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    In ADMIN Cmd Prompt Type

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

When you use the /CheckHealth argument, the DISM tool will report whether the image is healthy, repairable, or non-repairable. If the image is non-repairable, you should discard the image and start again. If the image is repairable, you can use the /RestoreHealth argument to repair the image.
    If image is repairable:

With ISO Media in CD/DVD tray: (The same media you installed image with) Type in ADMIN Cmd Prompt Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:M:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    press enter on keyboard, wait for it to finish--M would be drive letter of your CD/DVD tray, remember to change M to your CD/DVD drive letter.

After that in ADMIN CMD Prompt run sfc /scannow
    is just to make sure all is well.

Be aware that if you have modified your system files as in theming explorer/system files, running sfc /scannow will revert the system files such as explorer.exe back to it's default state. Make the appropriate backups of your system files that you have modified for theming if you wish to save them before running sfc /scannow.

4. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Ok the sfc /scannow done that at the beginning. The Dism did it also after the sfc /scannow. No ERROR found.

PointZero i've tried the reg file post on the forum you just gave me but still nothing after the reboot.

Lievre

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  6. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You can as well try to look for your DVD hardware identification at the 'Property' in the Device manager to see if you can find the firmware that is compatible with it online.

7. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
  8. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    make sure first that is enable in your bios settings if it is...how old is your laptop? sounds like a firmware update issue or driver issue or believe it or not DVD drive just when bad.....do u have another optic drive that u can swap to test....thats the best way to know 100% try this re-install windows again and see if the issue gets solved.

9. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    The Dvd is there in the bios.
    2 years old
    firmare, i've tried every.... thing

Now i'm with you right now i'm reinstalling Windows so .... let you know as soon as it finish.

Lievre

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    u should tried first to install win10 via dvd and if it boots in to setup u know the optic drive is working.

11. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #13 lobo11, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Could be one of the wires either power or data are loose, unplugged or bad going to your DVD, make sure data cable is plugged into motherboard and power cable has power.:D:worthy:

Reboot

12. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    this is I suppose an Asus issue, i had it while just upgraded to win 8 if i remember correctly, i saved this solution :
    1. Run Command Prompt as an Administrator. Type cmd in Windows 8 modern UI and press cltr+shift+enter

2. Type following and say enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

3. Reboot the system

4. Verify if the problem has been resolved.

Thank you!

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    It's not something as simple as "Hide empty drives" in the view settings of a folder is it?

Or is it happening while a disc is in the drive too?

14. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    to me simplest way is to swap out the drive....but sense he doesnt have another one....best way put in the win10 disk re-start hit F12 select boot option.....and hit boot from DVD if it start win setup the drive is working....if it doesnt the hardware is bad.

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Dude, what is it, is it fixed, what was it:confused:

16. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    #18 lievre, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    (OP)
    Error: the system cannot find the path specified
    So i've try different path, like d, e etc. Still the same message

so i went to the reg file and the reg word was already at 1 but there is nothing at the default

For mrmagic, nop.

Lievre

17. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    So the reinstall gives You the same problem :confused:

18. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    MrBat yes. Reinstall win10 (usb key) and yes same ...... problem

The drive is there. Start the computer hitting "esc" and choose boot from the dvd (windows 10). It is working.

:g::mad::death::fuyou31::rocket::argue::bashtroll::throw::throw::throw:

Lievre