DVD Menu/Burning software Question

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Jmee2k19, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Jmee2k19

Jmee2k19 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2019
    Hi all.

I was wondering if some one could help me out a little bit here.

My main laptop ( more powerful than my old PC ) does not have a dvd burner.
    So i want to do the following:

Using the laptop, make my own DVD up. By this i mean adding two videos, then create a custom menu for it, then simply save as an .ISO image.

Nothing fancy, just a video WITH the audio playing in the background. So when the DVD is inserted in to a DVD Payer it loads up on the the menu with video/audio playing in the background and the 2 video titles show up. Then allows me to choose out of the 2 i want to play.

I would then want to transfer the .ISO image over to my less powerful pc and burn it to disc.

I used a free trial very briefly of the software ' Convert X To Dvd '.
    It let me do this with ease. But wouldn't let me save/convert to an .ISO image, or i couldn't work out how! lol.

the preview of the overall DVD was what i wanted but i cant really fork out £40 odd for the software.

Is there a free alternative that will allow me to achieve this?
    When googling, i search for silly terms like free DVD menu creator with video background, and all kinds of crap shows up.

I really hope all that made sense lol.

ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jamie.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    When you make such a DVD why you need to convert it to .iso? Or You really don't know what is .iso and where and why it is used?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jmee2k19

Jmee2k19 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2019
    Ive used .ISO images in the past, but that will stay in the past ( the old days of gaming piracy ). So ive always thought saving as an .ISO was simple and kept everything neat and tidy.

Create > Save as .ISO > copy to USB > ON to PC and burn.

I don't necessarily HAVE to save as an .ISO image file i guess, but if i was to create on my laptop, what would the best to save as?
    To then be able to save to USB/transfer to PC and simply burn?

I want to use my laptop as it is more powerful than the PC.

Am i trying to go the long complicated route then?

Thanks for the reply :)

Jamie.

4. hewey

hewey MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2017
    I use 'ConvertXtoVideo Ult 2', very similar to your program.

The simplest solution is to purchase an external USB optical drive. You can then do everything you want on your new computer. I would guess this is what you really would rather do.

These models can be bought on Amazon and has the best user reviews (meaning, 'most reliable and compatible) of the few external drives that are still being sold:

$20.99+shipping - Wsky External CD DVD Drive, USB 3.0 Portable CD DVD Optical Drive, USB C High Speed Writer

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I aint used convertxtodvd for years, but if i remember to save as ISO file you set that in settings \ burning settings.

6. Jmee2k19

Jmee2k19 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2019

Hi Hewey...

Thanks for the reply.
    You know what, i didn't even think about those external drives lol. I shall look into it.

That is kind of one problem solved.

But then we get back to the software to do what im hoping to achieve.

When searching google for ' ConvertXtoVideo Ult 2 ' it comes up with a link to a site called Softpedia, it shows ConvertXtoVideo Ultimate as a trial.
    I was hoping for some sort of free program.

Again thanks for the reply mate.

Jamie.

7. Jmee2k19

Jmee2k19 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2019
    Hi Urie.

Yea i think i managed to find it in the settings.
    How ever, i am looking for a free alternative.
    Otherwise, i guess i will have to purchase convert X at a later date.

Thanks for the reply.

Jamie.

8. SoftDiver

SoftDiver MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2019
    Hi - i am not aware of any single program, that would fit your purpose.

That being said - have a lok at videohelp.com. Thta site provides a pretty good overview of what is out there in terms of software in that area.

One way to go enteirely woth freeware would be to use two pieces of software:

1. Encode your video material to dvdv compliant MPEG2 using handbrake
    2. As for the DVD menu you can use DVD-lab from MEdiachance (Can't post links as I am new here, but just google Mediachance and DVD-lab - it's a well established professional company). The Standard version is free and should suffice..

Note while not as comfortable as a one-click-solution, this software ist free and produces very good quality - if you are willing to go the few extra steps...

Jake

9. Jmee2k19

Jmee2k19 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2019
    Hi Jake.

Thanks for your reply.

I decided to purchase Convert X To DVD in the end.
    I felt comfortable using it via the trial.

Again thanks for the reply though.

Jamie.

10. Jmee2k19

Jmee2k19 MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2019
    Thanks to every one who replied to my post.
    Much appreciated.

Im sorted now.

Admin, feel free to lock thread.

Thanks.

Jamie.