DVI Out to HDMI vs HDMI to HDMI

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeathStalker77, Sep 13, 2012.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    Ok, I just got the GFX680 and it has both DVI out & HDMI out (my previous card only had DVI out). I don't care about the speakers in the monitor (I hate them actually), but I would like to know if there is any *actual* difference in the image output.

Thanks much! :)

2. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    That still doesn't really address whether there is a difference in the output. I have a high-end Monster DVI-HDMI and a moderate-end HDMI-HDMI. Without being able to compare them side-by-side I can't tell (even with the Asus monitor's PinP feature, as it will not work using both HDMI and DVI inputs) :(

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #4 PhaseDoubt, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    Given the number of variables among individual systems is virtually infinite, you may never be able to come to a definite and general conclusion. The answer to which is the "best" this or the "best" that is purely subjective based on a user's experiences.

When you ask about differences, are you asking for technical specification differences or are you asking about visual differences (image quality) you as a viewer perceive? Tech Specs for both are available and comparing/contrasting them is a reading exercise. If you are meaning visual differences/image quality then you'll have to decide that for yourself. For me there are no significant, discernible differences visually between the two and I couldn't care less about the tech specs differences. As is the usual case, YMMV.

As to what will work "best" on your system ("I can't tell (even with the Asus monitor's PinP feature, as it will not work using both HDMI and DVI inputs)") why not just try each separately, see what works, which you like best and go with it? Kind of like beer and women (or men as the case may be) ... you got to try a few before you find out what you like.

4. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Personally with computers i prefer the dvi out rather than hdmi. Thats for computer stuff, on htpc i still prefer my output to be dvi, but hdmi is just as good.

All comes down to preference and how it looks to you. I prefer dvi out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    #6 steven4554, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    I'm using HDMI on my Toshiba HDTV, picture quality is okay, and i can live with it until next year when i'll get a new monitor.

Although i had to lower the resolution to 1366x768 to be able to see the writing and play my games (they wouldn't work at 1920x1080!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...