dynamic disk invalid

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tonkatrucket, Apr 25, 2013.

1. tonkatrucket

tonkatrucket MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2012
    Ive decided to post here after reading numerous forums about how to correct the dynamic disk invalid message in disk management.

My drive is a 2tb that used to have a 100gb partition first followed by a 1.whatever the rest of the drive was TB partition. I initally used it for a OS boot partition with extra storage. After I upgraded to a ssd I converted the disk to dynamic and added the 100gb partition at the beginning of the drive to the volume. it has been a long time and when i put the drive in another system to copy off the data it says invalid. I get the option to reactivate disk but it says "this operation is not allow on the invalid disk pack."

this lead me to forum post about how to convert the disk back to basic using a hex editor. My hesitation is that because this disk was not one large partition to begin with that doing the hex edit with result in corrupt data. I am in over my head on this but i do work in IT and am fairly descent with understanding technical questions. I have read post where people have included diskpart screens and Im hoping someone out there can instruct me on what program i need or how i can reestablish the dynamic volume so i can recover my data.

right now it is plugged in through an addon sata 2 controller flashed in non-raid mode

WDC WD20 02FAEX-007BA0 SCSI Disk Device
    Disk ID: 3C32E384
    Type : SATA
    Path : 2
    Target : 0
    LUN ID : 0
    Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1C00)#PCI(0000)#PCI(0000)#ATA(C02T00L00)
    Current Read-only State : No
    Read-only : No
    Boot Disk : No
    Pagefile Disk : No
    Hibernation File Disk : No
    Crashdump Disk : No
    Clustered Disk : No

There are no volumes.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Dynamic Data 1863 GB 31 KB